Freezing temps, power outage

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by farmboy, Dec 29, 2009.

1. farmboy

farmboy New Member

I live on a farm and have a deep well with a pressure tank w/bladder.
    My tank is in a small (3 foot by 3 foot by 4 foot high) insulated well house.
    I have a heat lamp inside the well house to provide warmth in freezing weather.
    Last year we had an extended power outage and freezing in my well house.
    After the weather warmed and the power was restored, my pump continued to cycle on and off until the pump burned out.
    The well man came and said the water froze in the tank and caused the problem.
    My question is: If my power goes out again this year, if I drain my tank will that prevent a recurrence of my problem
    or do I have to find a secondary source of heat for my well house?
    Thanks for your help.
    farmboy
  2. Waterwelldude

Waterwelldude Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer

If the power goes out, turn the power off to the well. After it defrosts, them turn the power back on to the pump.
    That way the pump cant deadhead, or pump against a froze pipe.

The cycling of the pump was not caused by the freeze.
    the tank did not have the correct amount of air pressure(bladder tank), or the tank was water logged, and needed to be drained dry(non bladder tank) and given a fresh start.

Travis