Freeze Prevention Heat Tape

Users who are viewing this thread

slowgsxr97

Reaction score
I have never had water turned on to this property. The main supply line and the trap for the bathtub is in the crawl space. The crawl space is vented to the outside air. I need to keep both from freezing. I purchased a 6' section of Frost King heat cable. It says it is usable on copper and plastic, but in the same paragraph it says not to use on drain lines. Is there any way to keep the trap from freezing? I plan on renting this place out soon and trying to avoid any issues before they start. Any advice? This is my first crawl space house.
Crawl space.jpg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Crawl spaces under a home are warmer than you might think. The foundation is below the frost line and stored heat in the the ground will raise into the space. You only need to keep it above 33-34 degrees. PVC has a low max operating temperature of 140 degrees and it is why heat tape is not recommended. If the crawl space has ventilation grills, they should be closed for the winter, maybe for two months during Jan & Feb when deep freeze temps and high winds for the Midwest are likely. I lived in Algonquin, Illinois so I’m familiar with the weather.
The easiest thing to do is hang a drop light near the trap with a halogen light bulb (25 watt). This is common way for well heads but usually with a 60-100 watt bulb. If the tub is used regularly, the warm water will melt any ice if it ever builds up.

Reach4

Reaction score
Get one or two thermometers that have outdoor sensors. Put the sensor(s) down there, and see how cold it gets. I know you won't be testing during the coldest times, but try to compensate.

The drain lines, except for the trap, are normally empty.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks