Freestanding Tub Drain Kit

Users who are viewing this thread

ToneMalone66

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am installing a freestanding tub with access below the floor (2nd story bathroom).

Question 1. I was wondering if I still need a drain kit for the floor below the tub or if I would be able to run PVC straight from the tub to the trap? All the installation videos I have watched use the drop in drain kit. I will have access to the pvc p trap below the floor so was wondering if there was a reason I would still need a kit.

Question 2. The floor mount faucet I bought for the tub has separate hot and cold hoses. Is there any negative to running the pex directly to these hoses with a male barb threaded into the hose?

Appreciate any help and advice you can provide!

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
What drain do you have for the tub currently? You should be able to use any compatible drain meaning the drain that might come with the tub, or any tub drain kit you buy.

Support your pex not sure what your meal by male barb threded into a hose but it all needs supported.

ToneMalone66

Reaction score
What drain do you have for the tub currently? You should be able to use any compatible drain meaning the drain that might come with the tub, or any tub drain kit you buy.

Support your pex not sure what your meal by male barb threded into a hose but it all needs supported.
This is a new bathroom. I ran pvc and have a p trap set up below the tub. Is it ok to run a straight pipe right from the tub to the p trap? The tub did not come with a kit.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is a new bathroom. I ran pvc and have a p trap set up below the tub. Is it ok to run a straight pipe right from the tub to the p trap? The tub did not come with a kit.
Yeah as long as you have a compatible drain for the tub.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
nothing says it has to be the freestanding kit . I kinda got out of house plumbing 20 years ago then got back into a little repair and remodel just did a free standing 6 mothes ago easy as pie with the kit but cost me something crazy like 100 bucks it was so darn easy I didnt care though

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks