For a 25 hp resi. well drilling machine and a 200' well

Users who are viewing this thread

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Roughly how long would it take, min time and max time?

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Hit a rock or a hard place, and you can make that 2 lifetimes.
OK, we've got a range of a few hours to two lifetimes, about 170 years if you live healthy and avoid bar fights.
Anybody care to narrow that down?
With a diamond bit, less than two days?
Lessee', how 'bout between one and four days, 8 hrs/day at 25 hp?

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
There are lots of variables. Are you drilling with air or mud? How much air or mud do you have? Will you lose circulation in that area? How much pull down does your drill have? If you get stuck, how much pull back do you have? Does your formation change so that you will have to change bits? What size hole are you drilling? 5' rods or 20' sticks? Drill collar weight? Stabilizers or flow through centralizers? Then does the driller know what he is doing or is he feeling his way through it one step at a time?

With a truck mounted rig in my area, I could bust two of those 200' wells a day. But with a hand held type rig you may never get the job done.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
There are lots of variables. Are you drilling with air or mud? How much air or mud do you have? Will you lose circulation in that area? How much pull down does your drill have? If you get stuck, how much pull back do you have? Does your formation change so that you will have to change bits? What size hole are you drilling? 5' rods or 20' sticks? Drill collar weight? Stabilizers or flow through centralizers? Then does the driller know what he is doing or is he feeling his way through it one step at a time?

With a truck mounted rig in my area, I could bust two of those 200' wells a day.
I can tell you this driller doesn't have a clue :(

How many hp on that rig? 6" borehole?

Last edited:

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
There is no such thing as a "residential" 25hp well drilling rig. Unless it is 4 post hole rigs wired together.

What is the inspiration for this very odd evaluation?

Is it gas or electric? Using an electric motor, the actual power would be several times that of gasoline ratings per hp.

It all about time and pressure. Maybe its a cable tool, like 1925. Thats a different forum

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
Is this one of those little contraptions that run off a gas engine, that looks like someone converted a log-splitter?

I have an excellent truck mounted one man all hydraulic rig for you.. but it's setup for steel wells. pound and drill. probably a little more than u wanna spend though.

Last edited:

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
This calc. of the total energy to dig a resi. well might come in handy, sometime. In principle 100 hp would take 10 hours. Besides, now I can figure out how much TNT it will take to do the same job. . .:D

I gotta' say this forum is teaching me a few things.

Last edited:

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I can dig the first 40 feet of your well with an excavator, uses about 7 GPH of diesel and would take about an hour to an hour and a half in shale or broken gravel, but not hard rock. Then you can set a 10" casing and start drilling with the homeboy rig from that level.

If you get water at 30' thats the cheapest and fastest well you might ever dig.

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
Hope u aren't required to grout casing.. excavator hole could get costly.

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
I can dig the first 40 feet of your well with an excavator, uses about 7 GPH of diesel and would take about an hour to an hour and a half in shale or broken gravel, but not hard rock.

I want to see this excavator!

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Hey everybody, I think this person is talking about a Deeprock DR-200 or similar drill that is capable of drilling to 200' under normal drilling conditions. Normal drilling conditions at Opelika, AL where the drills are built.

With that said, I have used the DR-200 all over the world and it works. However I don't think it would work very well in most of Maryland. These drills work best using mud rotary in sands, clays and soft rocks. They are capable of drilling 8" holes to 200'.

As to the time it will take depends on the formation encountered and the drilling experience of the operator. I've driller one well per day 200' deep with these drills.

Estrogen Hostage

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I think this person is talking about a Deeprock DR-200 or similar drill that is capable of drilling to 200' under normal drilling conditions. Normal drilling conditions at Opelika, AL where the drills are built.

With that said, I have used the DR-200 all over the world and it works. However I don't think it would work very well in most of Maryland. These drills work best using mud rotary in sands, clays and soft rocks. They are capable of drilling 8" holes to 200'.

As to the time it will take depends on the formation encountered and the drilling experience of the operator. I've driller one well per day 200' deep with these drills.

The description sounds a lot more like this model:
http://deeprock.com/HD/frmM60.aspx

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Did anyone notice that it was an American team on a Schramm that pulled out those Chilean miners? Nice work.
This event will be written up in engineering, medical and psych journals.
I'd think the CEOs in this country would have written off those dudes.
And other countries don't seem to be so afraid of spies that they don't let aid workers in.

Now the danger to these miners is fame and fortune.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36338-2005Jan25.html

Last edited:

bcs

Reaction score
Yes that is a tough one. I don't know enough about that in particular to be sure but I'd say about a week it'll take. I could be way off though, it depends. I used to work with a cesspool service who did a job similar to this once and ran into all sorts of problems, but it wasn't in these types of conditions either.

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
its like asking the owl how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop.

seriously though, its no different than asking someone how long it will take to dig a 200' ditch, there are too many factors to consider so there is no good answer. the only true answer to that kind of question is.... however long it takes you to do it. you would go insane before that thing could make a 200' 8" hole at my house, but it might get 200' in a couple hours somewhere else.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks