Follow up question on well pump breaker tripping

Users who are viewing this thread

Warren

Reaction score
The plumber looked at it, and the pump was kicking off and on every couple of minutes, the gauge showing pressure of about 50 when it kicked on and 80 when it went off. There was no water running anywhere while it was doing this, and only took a few seconds to jump from 50 to 80.

The gauge looked old and was pretty rusty, but the documentation on the tank called for a 30-50 cycle.

He hemmed and hawed, called back to the boss played around and called me down and said the problem was the tank itself. He opened the pressure release valve at the top and showed that there was no air in the tank at all, meaning , he said, that the bladder was ruptured. The tank is about 15 years old.

The estimate is 1400 for new tank, gauge, switch etc.

Do I need a second opinion/estimate? Ive used this plumber before and they are reliable about showing up, but the jobs ive had them do havent been big enough to get back up estimates. This is NJ by the way.

We will be selling the house in a year or so, and my guess is that an inspector would give warnings about the age of this equipment.

Thanks.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
A Second Estimate

I like to get an independent estimate of what parts cost. Then you can make an informed decision about whether you want to pay the higher price that the plumber will have to charge you for what you want done. If you buy it yourself you will probably have to install it yourself. I assume that you are paying for the first visit/consultation.

A Grainger catalog is one place to check. You can go on line at www.grainger.com. Check the dimensions of your tank to find the right size in the catalog. Here is a link to a page full of tanks.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/se...ged&catindx1=Water+Tanks,&search_type=keyword

An 80 gallon precharged tank is $328 and a 119 gallon tank is $543. A Square D pressure switch will cost you about $20, and a gage less than $10. Find a friend that has a business of most any kind and they can help you arrange a cash sale.

There may be other places you can buy the stuff, but at least you have some idea what the market is. Competition is what makes our economy work.

PS: I am not an employee of and don't own any stock in Grainger.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I'm thinking of moving to New Jersey. If I can get $1500 to install a bladder tank gauge and switch.

A pressure switch is $9.98 and a gauge is $3.00. If you already have a bladder tank, it doesn't take a lot of knowledge to replace one.

Plumbers are not usually the one's to call to do pump, well work. I am in the well business and don't snake drains or install water heaters.

If your going to have someone do the work, use a pump installer or well driller. They are far better suited to handle that kind of work and they won't make a career of doing the swap out.

bob...

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
And "no air" does not mean a broken bladder.... it actually means no measurable air pressure. That can be due to a leaking Schrader valve (valve stem leak). Tires lose air pressure, and so do captive air precharged bladder type pressure tanks.

So this dude and the boss, do not know well work and IMO they are not who you want to troubleshoot and fix the problem. Call a pump guy or well driller and get it done once and right while saving yourself about a grand IF you need a new tank.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks