Flushmate repair questions

Users who are viewing this thread

jeremy34756

Reaction score
Well, I have been a browser of the site for awhile but I finnally had to register, I am having a problem I can't seem to figure out, I have a earler 01-03 American Standard Cadet Flush mate assisted toilet and it has worked flawless up until recently, I replaced all the internal flush mate coponents and the flush quality remains poor, More poor than a eljer if thats any comparison. When I flush it upon further inspection it looks as alot of water is being back flushed inside the china tank threw that little spout indicating a blockage however I can't find any in the jet and elsewhere, What else should I be looking for? Cloged vent? Could the tank have lost a seal? I would think it would be leaking if it lost a seal, Possible blocked trapway even know it still manages without a plunger on the second flush.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
First thing is to just replace the white flush cartridge that unscrews from the middle of the top.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Try taking a 5 gallon pail full of water and pour it in the bowl as fast as you can...do this several times and report back as to what happens...

jeremy34756

Reaction score
I actually already replaced everything in the resin tank, Cartridge and all, I also dumped pure sulfuric acid down the middle of the resin tank with the cartridge removed into the RIM And siphon jet passage "Where tank and bowl meet" and let it sit in there and it worked its way into the siphon jet, drain and trapway, Left it sit for 20 minutes and I had the usual hard water elements being eaten away and thought that may have done it But after I put it all back together, Same Without any change at all, And the resin tank did not get damged at all, I checked and I know what this stuff affects. Now, I work at a resort and this stuff I get will eat anything and I mean almost anything alive that is blocking a passage, Water supply PSI is good, What would cause a sudden back lash of water entering the china tank threw the overflow/breather spout or whatever its called? I ran a fish line into the siphon jet all the way up threw the resin tank just about, it felt like I hit things here and there but still nothing came out.

EDIT, I also have the tank pulled at this very moment, There are 2 large passages and a small passage, With dye Everytime I dump even a small amount of dyed water down the 2 large passage ways it is backflowing back to where I am pouring the dyed liquid, From the small passage, In clock format the 2 big passages are at 9 and 3 oclock, The small back flowing passage is at 6 oclock,, Studying the tank, It seems the small passage is connected to the small spout within the tank that I mentioned above as to backflushing the water into the tank which did not occur before.

flushmate_front.jpg

The front of the Sloan Flushmate 1.6 gallon flush

flushmate_back.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jeremy34756

Reaction score
Ok update, I have sinced learned the name of the part, And thank you Mr. Love for adding the pictures, The toilet has poor flush cause it seems alot of water is being shot out of the discharge extention valve into the china tank, What would cause this, I looked at the rubber flap "which looks alot like a 2 stroke engine reed valve" and it seems fine, No hard water build up of anykind, I can't seem to find any parts on replacing the discharge valve, Is this common with a flushmate? I cannot find any info on the problem either.

skyrider20

Reaction score
Flushmate backflush problem

I too, seem to have the same issue with the flushmate back flushing water into the bowl. The flush is very sluggish because of this. In fact, with the tank lid off, it splashes half a quart of water out of the tank! I checked and cleaned the cartridge, the water inlet screen, and the air inducer seems to be sucking air ok. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Believe it or not I call the Sloan Flushmate help line and let them do it for me.
Monday - Friday 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM EST at 1-800-533-3460

Tell them:
Model Number
Serial Number
China Manufacture
Installation Date
and what it is doing...

Not only will they know exactly what is wrong but they will tell you the parts you need to fix it and if under warranty they will send them to you...

Can you beat that?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks