Florida shallow well pump - Losing prime while running

Users who are viewing this thread

surfdesign

Reaction score
I just replaced my shallow well pump with a 1hp Sta-Rite pump. There are no leaks in the plumbing (using a pvc check valve), however it will not hold a prime.

Also, once it's primed and running, I can open the bib on the discharge end and get a great water flow, but when I close the bib and turn on the sprinkler system, I get a good burst of water (using the 2 gal bladder tank) then it takes a few seconds for the sprinkers to pop back up and run. The sprinklers run for about 5 minutes at full force then slowly for the next 2-10 minutes slow down and just barely drip water. I can then open the hose bib and get a good flow of water from the bib in about 30 seconds and the sprinklers run full force again while water is gushing out of the discharge bib. I can't for the life of me figure this out...

Any help before I have to call someone out?

Thanks

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Are you having to actually re-prime the pump to get it going again, or are you only stopping the flow and waiting for it to catch up?

I am not a pump expert, but it sounds to me like your demand is occasionally greater than your supply.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I would get me a good check valve made of brass not plastic.

If the sprinklers run for several minutes, that must be more than 2 gallons from your tank. So, is the well maybe just not giving the water you need. Tell us about the well. Size, depth to water etc.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks