Florecent light question

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by r_2016, Jun 30, 2008.

1. r_2016

r_2016 New Member

Hi, I have a fluorescent light (tube) that only lights on the ends of the bulb, my guess is that the ballast is bad, can anyone confirm this? Thanks
  2. Tundra

Tundra New Member

Replace the lamp....if it doesn't work....replace the ballast.

If the room is really cold this could have the same effect but this is not likely the case.

Make sure that it is the proper lamp for the ballast....it will say on the ballast what type of tube you need.

t
  3. pudge565

pudge565 New Member

I always replace all the lamps in the fixture at the same time. that way I know all of the lamps are good. A floruesent lamp can light on only one filament but the ballast will be huffing and puffing to light it. Cuts down on ballast life dramatically.
  4. Billy_Bob

Billy_Bob In the Trades

This is easiest to do in a commercial building which has several flourescent fixtures. You can just swap out bulbs with another fixture. If they all work, then problem is usually ballast.

Sometimes new bulbs out of the box don't work. Try replacing all bulbs if you don't have another fixture to swap out bulbs with. Then re-install one bulb at a time to see which works and which does not.

Some flourescent fixtures have "flakey" wiring going to the end sockets. These wires are "pressed" into metal clips which cut into the wire or pushed into a clip which holds the bare end of the wire. Sometimes these wires come loose. I've seen brand new fixtures out of the box with one or more of these wires hanging loose! So like many things I buy these days, I need to fix it to get it to work.