Floor water supply for toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Mad Plumber

Mad Skills
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
we have 3, 24-year old toilets, 1 American Standard and 2 Waltecs, that we would like to replace. All three have the copper supply line coming up through the floor, just a few inches from the centre line of the bowl's footprint and 3-1/2" to 4" from the wall. Most new toilets seem to cover over this area, making replacement impossible. Replumbing would be costly and out of the question. Also, without pulling the fixtures off the floor I can't tell wether they need 10" 12" or 14" roughin spacing.

In your experience, can you suggest a) what roughin size I am looking at on these old guys, and b) what toilets would have a shorter footprint that allows some space behind for the supply line? We're on a fixed income, so reasonably priced toilets is a definite plus. Can you help?

Tom L
Ancaster, Ontario, Canada

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Rough in is measured from the wall to the center of the drain which is also the location of the two bolt holes on the toilet base. I don't think changing rough in size will help. You don't say what the problem is in relocating the supply line, but I would revisit that idea. This is something you will live with for many years, so cutting corners or going with a less than desirable alternative is something you will regret. Perhaps there are conditions you haven't given details on.

Tom L

Reaction score
Rough in is measured from the wall to the center of the drain which is also the location of the two bolt holes on the toilet base. I don't think changing rough in size will help. You don't say what the problem is in relocating the supply line, but I would revisit that idea. This is something you will live with for many years, so cutting corners or going with a less than desirable alternative is something you will regret. Perhaps there are conditions you haven't given details on.
The questionable part re the toilet bowls is that while they have 4 bolt holes, only the rear 2 are actually used: the front holes just have an empty cap siliconed on. Looks like I'll have to take the units off the floor to check the roughin.
I really didn't want to move the supply lines because that would mean breaking up the porcelain/ceramic tiles and cutting into the subfloor.
Checking some manufacturers' sites I found actual footprint diagrams so that may be a starting point to find toilets that will fit the existing plumbing layouts.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks