Flexible dishwasher drain options

Users who are viewing this thread

frogdude13

Reaction score
What is the best legal flexible dishwasher drain option to install into a wall? This is for a multifamily building in Washington state. The objective is to find an easy way to get the waste to a sink drain on the other side of the kitchen. We're hoping to use something flexible since we need to get it through the wall studs that are already in place.

Here are a couple options that I've looked into and the issues that I believe exist with them. Maybe someone here can tell me why they will work or suggest a better alternative.

A) EPDM (rubber) hoses: These are sold for dishwasher discharge but I don't see this material listed as an acceptable drainage material under section 7. It's possible that I'm not looking in the right place though. If it's a questionable material then I am assuming the inspector wouldn't approve it.

B) Polyethylene: It appears to be an approved material.
- Black poly seems to be for cold only as best I can tell since there aren't any temperature ratings on product specs.
- Yellow poly looks like it would work based on product specs and availability EXCEPT for the yellow (gas) color.

How would you handle this?

Last edited:

frogdude13

Reaction score
id run it through the cabinets same as usual

I like that idea for the area with cabinets. The drain needs to run inside of a wall without cabinets before it gets to any cabinets though. Here's the basic layout:

1713998359788.png

Any ideas for this?

GReynolds929

Reaction score
You either need to run a proper drain over to it or like jeffh says run rubber hose through the cabinets.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ive never had one like that, Im wondering if a high loop at the d/w then down below floor with copper and run to K/S area and tie in per code washington I think requires a air gap or johnson tee

frogdude13

Reaction score
Ive never had one like that, Im wondering if a high loop at the d/w then down below floor with copper and run to K/S area and tie in per code washington I think requires a air gap or johnson tee
We aren't able to go below the floor but we could run it through the wall.

Would polyethylene pipe work instead of copper? Flexible pipe would be a lot easier, especially since this is in multiple units.

Last edited:

frogdude13

Reaction score
Seems like a better flexible in-wall drain option might be to just use PEX, as covered here already:

If I'm missing a better option or am likely to fail inspection --> please reply now. :)

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks