Fleck Air Injection (AIO) optimization

Users who are viewing this thread

Brain2000

Reaction score
Greetings everyone. I'm new to the forums. Just recently bought a house with well and septic, and the well has iron and manganese so I figure I better get learning. A well test was done before the title transferred and I bought and installed an AIO Katalox Light filtration system based on about 80 hours of my research. So far, that system is working fantastic! (and I know how to work with Pex now, yay)

So I've been learning a bit about the Fleck 2510 valve and found there are different sized injectors for it. In my system it is simply being used as a venturi effect to create a bubble of air in the tank for aeration. However, that stage takes about 40 minutes.

So I got to thinking, that's a long time to pull in a little air, can this be reduced? I got to looking at the injector housing and it has the number "2" stamped on the top. I believe that is a blue injector, which is for 13-14" tanks. So what would happen if I replaced it with the LARGEST injector available? Would that allow more water to flow through pulling in more air, reducing the time to aerate the tank?

Maybe someone's already thought of this and there's a good reason they don't do this. If so, I may learn something here about venturi and injection that I didn't know. You'll have to forgive me if this question is ridiculous. I'm new to all of this and my range of knowledge here is limited.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the Fleck valves but I use a Clack valve for the same purpose. Clack allows the air to be removed very slowly before a backwash cycle. If there is more air than the program will release, when the system gets into a backwash cycle, it may blow the media as well. So I would not make any changes. There are other on her that may have better advise.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
AIO systems are fairly simple designs. A larger injector will typically be fine. You can see in the manual the amount f water draw, the air draw rates are not a perfect correlation, but it is close enough. We do a lot of AIO testing with clear tanks to see what is really going on inside. (Do not use clear tanks for testing AIO designs without significant safety procedures in place and carefully regulate the incoming water pressure as compressed air is very dangerous in this application!). Why would it matter if the brine draw is 40 minutes though? This operation should go in the middle of the night.

Brain2000

Reaction score
I was shining a really bright light behind the tank so I could watch the media, water, and air inject into it. Not nearly as good as a clear tank might be, but cool to watch.

The air intake cycle sometimes "whistles" a bit. It wakes everyone up in the middle of the night. So I moved it to the afternoon. But it might compete with people wanting to use water. So I thought, maybe I can cut this time in half.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks