Fleck 5800XTR2 Freeboard ....

Users who are viewing this thread

David Isom

Reaction score
Hello again, I recently read that in upflow systems its not necessary to have freeboard space left at top of tank. Is this true ? David

more information ..... any comments appreciated

Hello, I would like to ask advice. I have a upflow system comprising of a Fleck 5800XTR2 configured as an upflow system . It has a DLFC Of 2gpm , BLFC of 0.125gpm And a violet 00 injector . Tank is 10x35 with gravel bed and 25 litres (0.88cu ft) resin along with 30% space for freeboard at top of tank. I recently read a post saying that I don’t need and in fact should not have freeboard space as it’s a upflow system . Is this correct ? I ask as I have a spare bag of resin which could be used to increase capacity if the tank can be filled to the top. Ps The valve has a screen at the top

Last edited:

David Isom

Reaction score
Hello again, I recently read that in upflow systems its not necessary to have freeboard space left at top of tank. Is this true ? David

more information ..... any comments appreciated

Hello, I would like to ask advice. I have a upflow system comprising of a Fleck 5800XTR2 configured as an upflow system . It has a DLFC Of 2gpm , BLFC of 0.125gpm And a violet 00 injector . Tank is 10x35 with gravel bed and 25 litres (0.88cu ft) resin along with 30% space for freeboard at top of tank. I recently read a post saying that I don’t need and in fact should not have freeboard space as it’s a upflow system . Is this correct ? I ask as I have a spare bag of resin which could be used to increase capacity if the tank can be filled to the top. Ps The valve has a screen at the top
We please guys can somebody advise me....