Fleck 5600

Users who are viewing this thread

klahmers

Reaction score
DIYer here. I have suddenly hard water in the house. So I looked at my softener. It is a fleck 5600. I notice that nothing happens when I turn the knob to the 'brine rinse' manual setting. I have taken of the line to the brine tank and I get no suction or any sound whatsoever. Am I supposed to hear something in the unit (I think the motor only does the timer)? Is there likely a blockage in the injector unit? I'm happy to work on this, but I am not sure where to start.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
If nothing happens in that there is no water to the drain then I would be looking at the drain line pluged or that the power head has a gear that holds onto the main shaft and the two have gone different ways.... and the gear might need to be replaced.
Depending on the age of the 5600 now might be a good time for a rebuild , not that bad cost wise as they are one of the lower cost ones out there.

klahmers

Reaction score
I have done the drain line and it moves water just fine. There is water in the brine tank. When I disconnect the line from the injector module and move the unit manually to brine rinse, there is no suction at the fitting for the brine line. It is a 17 year old unit. When you say rebuild do you mean o rings, valve and piston? Seems like not too much money to spend while I'm mucking around with things (~$50).

Reach4

Reaction score
In addition to what Akpsdvan said,
http://www.softenerparts.com/Fleck_5600_Valve_and_Parts_s/30.htm has the manual, parts, and some other info.

In the "brine rinse" position, you say you hear nothing. Yet it seems that you may be saying that water is coming out of the drain line in that setting. I would think there would be a sound associated with the water flowing. Maybe you mean there is no sound other than that of the flowing water.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
17 years old, rebuild the valve, seal/spacers kit, piston assembly, brine valve, assorted O-rings. Consider replacing the resin or at least checking it. Replace the riser tube and bottom screen. Is it a metered valve? If so, test the meter. The meter is highly reliable. Simple system to rebuild, and if repaired properly, it could last another 15 years.

klahmers

Reaction score
The water doesn't go out the drain line at that point (start of the brine rinse) but does later in the cycle. Should it be going out the drain line as the brine is pulled in through the brine line?

Thanks for the helping me by the way.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
The water doesn't go out the drain line at that point (start of the brine rinse) but does later in the cycle. Should it be going out the drain line as the brine is pulled in through the brine line?
I believe that water should be flowing out the drain line in this phase. It is the flow of water through the injector that develops the suction for the brine. The water then continues down into the tank, up the tube, and out the drain.

Maybe you can clean out the injector area and injector screen. Figure 13 shows the area. The injector screen is shown as part 25 on the list on page 17, but figure 13 seems to lack a callout for that. I suspect it might be the thing between part 23 and 24.

I have no experience with these. I just look at the manual. The others on the thread have actual experience and knowledge.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
All the water going to drain in the Brine/Slow rinse cycle goes through the injector. Remove, inspect, clean the injector and try again. Considering the age of the system, the o-ring may not reseal well once it has been removed, it should be replaced. Their are 5 0-rings in the injector/brine/drain assembly that should be replaced when the valve is rebuilt.

klahmers

Reaction score
Okay I'll do the rebuild and also have a look at the injector module. softenerparts has a demo on the module inspection. Thanks again for the help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks