First time homeowner, need water softener advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hey water pro, thanks for the insight. Aside from the softener, I was looking at a standard RO system for the kitchen sink, maybe also one connected to the fridge dispenser.

Aside from the test I just got and what was required by the bank when we bought the house, I'm not sure about total coliform.

Just FYI, we are using 5 gallon bottles of purified drinking water for our daily drinking needs until I set everything up.

So - can I rest assured with a Fleck 5600 metered valve, a 48,000 grain? Again - just 2 of us here but we plan on adding a couple of kids in the future.

Happy to start ordering if you are able to point me in the right direction as far as websites, accessories, etc. I'll likely have a plumber install for me - I figure its money well spent for a 1 time deal.
sounds like a plan. a qualified water treatment professional would be preferred over a plumber for installation, but you can likely get by asking a few questions on here regarding proper programming. A coliform test is usually required by the bank, so your probably alright, but for like $30 for the test, it a no brainer, as that's the only harmful bacteria. one RO will work, just tee it off to the fridge. crystal clear ice cubes!

Last edited:

Brecchi

Reaction score
water pro, thanks as always. Any chance you (or anyone else) can point me in the right direction regarding the actual purchase of everything? I've heard mixed things about ordering online and just want to make sure I'm buying the right things from a reputable place.

-Ben

Brecchi

Reaction score
water pro, thanks as always. Any chance you (or anyone else) can point me in the right direction regarding the actual purchase of everything? I've heard mixed things about ordering online and just want to make sure I'm buying the right things from a reputable place.

-Ben

Anyone? I'm super ready to actually buy something :)

Brecchi

Reaction score
Hello - I've kind of figured out that this forum in general doesn't really trust online sources as far as buying complete systems for self-install. (I think I have that right.)

Apologies if I've been insistent, I really didn't have to much insight into this until I got a couple of PM's.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks