Do I need more than a softener? Any "do it all" system out there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Blamus

Reaction score
Hi, my well water test came in and I'm a little confused on what needs attention - my well service company just said a water softener and point of use RO system.

I'm less worried about the drinking water assuming I'll use the under sink RO. But what about all the other stuff - anything that a softener won't remove that's either bad to bathe in or will degrade my plumbing/appliances? Cause stains on fixtures?

Here's my limited understanding from the research I've been able to do so far:

Calcium will be replaced by potassium by the softener.
Copper/Iron/Lithium/Magnesium/Manganese are not high enough concentration to be of concern?
What about the Strontium? Will the softener take care of that?
The Uranium will be taken out by RO for drinking, and its fine to bathe in? But there's likely Radon in the water
Radon will need aeration tank?
Fluoride will be taken out by RO for drinking.
Chloride is fine at this level?
Very high sulfate. This is where it gets confusing. Theres rotten smell, so there's hydrogen sulfide. Likely from sulfur eating bacteria. Chlorination of the well should help. The RO will get rid of the sulfate for drinking, but will such high levels cause problems for my plumbing?

Very high hardness and TDS but thats just the effect of the above dissolved ions discussed? The TDS is mostly from sulfate and calcium right?

So do I only need a softener and POU RO? what about aeration?

Thanks in advice!

watertest1.jpg
watertest2.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
1. I would get a Safety Siren Pro4 or similar to test for radon gas.

2. That is an impressive amount of sulfate. The H2S can be generated by SRB (sulfate reducing bacteria). A good well and plumbing sanitizing may help that a lot, but I don't know how long you would expect that to last. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ How deep is your well? A powered anode can help reduce H2S generation if the H2S is more in the hot water. H2S could be in the water aquifer, but it can also be generated in your well and plumbing.

3. RO systems often have GAC pre-filters that will take out radon. Maybe you could have a bigger GAC tank. I am not a pro. You have done good research so far, and I hope you can find some good info.

Buying drinking water in 5 gallon bottles may be worth considering IMO.

4. Regenerating your softener with potassium salt is expensive. It costs a lot more per pound, and you need more pounds. Common softener salt is sodium salt.

Blamus

Reaction score
One of the questions I have is where the rejected radon will go - whether its aeration tank or GAC filter, once its out of the water wouldn't it just be released in the house (and then inhaled)? Surely I don't want that? yet any filter/tanks etc will have to be inside the house, so how do I get the radon out?

This is a 800ft well drilled last year. the H2S is coming from the well. I guess getting the well sanitized on a regular basis isnt out of the question. But then I wonder if a continuous chlorination treatment would make sense. Theres no plumbing yet, its a new build.

Reach4

Reaction score
When you use GAC, I think the Rn goes into the GAC. The Rn decays (half life 3.82 days), and I expect the Rn products stays with the media. I am not sure what media life to expect. 5 years sounds about right. Some may want you to do a hazardous discard on the old media. This seems to say the old GAC would not be hazardous waste. https://aarst.org/proceedings/2008/..._THE_TREATMENT_OF_RADON-222_IN_WELL_WATER.pdf

Make sure that a radon mitigation is planned in discussion, and have at least a provision for a radon fan.

For an injection system, you might consider H2O2 to go after the H2S more than the bacteria. I think it would be possible to switch. Remember that tho I have impressions of things, you need some expert help. Or at least research these thing. If somebody has differing opinions, I welcome them.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
This water is pretty lousy and proper treatment needs to be taken seriously. In my opinion, you should talk to a true pro, not a well driller who also does water treatment on the side. He should have discussed whole house RO. Radon may be at 35 today but what will it be in a month or two? Higher, lower? Feel free to contact me and I can give some more advice. I will be travelling to Amsterdam this week for Aquatech Amsterdam but will be back next week.

Blamus

Reaction score
Cuzn suggested a Cation and an Anion exchange unit for the house, and RO for drinking. The Anion unit is for dealing with the sulfate - which is what I'm getting conflicting information on. If its replacing sulfate with chloride, then how is that an improvement?

While my well service guy thinks the sulfate will leave deposits when the water dries, affecting glassware and laundry etc. but won't be detrimental to my plumbing or appliances. And isn't recommending its removal. Is that really true? if it leaves deposits surely over time it will block something somewhere? Also doesn't sulfate corrode copper? which are at ALL my stub outs. He did say whole house RO is an option, but its around $30k and takes up a lot more space and about $1000 per year for upkeep. I'd prefer to avoid that!

I'm less concerned about the drinking water because I'll do RO for that.

What is this sulfate really going to do to my plumbing and appliances?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks