Fine green debris in gas feed for steam boiler

Users who are viewing this thread

Ben McHugh

Reaction score
Hi there. Ive been experiencing a problem with thick green gunk gathering on the filter in the Gas Valve
Thermocouple Actuated Line Interrupter (see attached).

IMG_1476.jpg

My plumber's theory is that its a dirty feed from the street. Ive had National Grid at least 10 times telling me anything but admit liability and they finally said that they believe it to be old plumber's putty which has a striking resemblance to the green gunk.

My plumber doesn't believe it so as the existing putty on the exterior of the piping is pretty much petrified. My building is 100 years old and its anyone's guess when the putty was applied. Im leaning towards Nat Grid's explanation.

Now I have a very deep sentiment trap which is vertically setup correctly with the feed to the valve at a right angle. Two questions:

1. Can I add a mesh filter of sorts that would catch this fine dust/gunk (it's not metallic) before/after the sediment trap but before the valve? Im having to replace every two years or so due to the impact of cleaning it out which in turn ruins the seal. I would rather replace something that may be simple and much more cost effective every two years than a whole new thermocouple which sits around $100 to replace the unit.

2. Alternatively, national grid recommended dismantling the existing piping and cleaning the insides thoroughly to remove suspect green plumbers putty and reinstall. My plumber has balked at this saying he doesn't believe it to be the culprit (Im suspicious he just doesn't want to do it) - or would it be cheaper/quicker/easier to replace all piping with new piping and start from scratch?

Thanks for your help in this matter - Im going slowly mad dealing with this year in year out

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I guess the only thing left to do is to disassemble a portion of the pipe to see what it is.

Call another plumber for his opinion.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks