fill valve

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by BMWMK2, Mar 21, 2006.

1. BMWMK2

BMWMK2 New Member

i just installed a basic american standard cadet (i know , i know) the fill valve has a slow leak after it shuts off. in the directions it says to open the valve with the water off and flush the valve by turning the water on and off, so i did a couple of times and still a small leak. 1) if it fills to the overflow will this eventually overflow the toilet and 2) how do i fix it?

thanks mike
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Yes, if it continues to run, it will just run down the overflow and down the drain.

If it is new, American Standard should either send you repair parts or a new one for free. Or, just replace it with a Fluidmaster or Korky Quietfill for less than $10. Some of those things use a non-standard filler valve, so check first.
  3. BMWMK2

BMWMK2 New Member

it is fluid master parts, it says it in the manual , should i shut off the water supply until i replace the part?

also thanks for the tip guys about the fluidmaster waxless seal , the floor is not the most level so i went with the waxless, it was very easy to install, and i think it worked well also it gives me a piece of mind for a little back up.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The Fluidmaster valve uses a twist lock to open up. It has a single seal in it. My guess is that you probably have some sand or crud caught in it. Take it apart, remove the seal, check it out. A new one is only about a buck, if it is messed up, but some dirt or metal filing is the most likely suspect. You can probably find the instructions on their website and it should be on the package for a new seal as well (if not in the toilet's instruction sheet).

A leaky toilet can use a surprising amount of water, so yes, turn it off when not needed until you get it fixed.
  5. BMWMK2

BMWMK2 New Member

Just Replaced The Fill Valve Seal, And No Leak!!!
    Thanks For The Help.

Mike