Extra Pipe Off Shower Stem

Users who are viewing this thread

Calvin608

Reaction score
I have an older home and am remodeling the bathroom. I want to change the tub/shower faucet, valve and head. After opening the wall I noticed a T coming off the shower head stem with a pipe going down through the floor. I have the ceiling out of the room under it and noticed that the 1/2" copper pipe has a 1/4" pipe ran into it, hammered tight and then soldered. The 1/4" pipe then disappears into the wall where the main plumbing stack and piping are. I would like to know what that pipe is for and if i can remove/cap it to install the new shower valve and stem. I have attached a picture showing the old valve and where the pipe comes off.

Thanks

photo1.jpg

ckl111

Home Builder
Reaction score
Like Jerome says, it's most likely a primer for a near by floor drain. We've done the same thing whenever there's no laundry sink. You should try to re-install it with the new setup.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks