External Outlet requirement

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by chippie, Sep 15, 2008.

1. chippie

chippie New Member

We've recently had a room addition to our existing home. Everything has passed inspection except for the new external outlet. The outlet is a GFCI receptacle. The problem is that the inspector said we must also have an AFC or GFC installed in the circuit breaker. When the electrician installed the AFC in the circuit breaker and a radio was plugged in the receptacle, the breaker tripped and cut off power. When the line is attached to a non GFC in the circuit breaker, the GFC outlet works fine.

My question is, if code requires both GFC circuit breaker and outlet, what could be a possible solution to the problem?

Thank you in advance for your help.
  2. Chris75

Chris75 Electrician

I would ask for the EXACT code violation. :rolleyes: AFCI protection is NOT required for outdoor outlets, whether they are lighting or receptacles.
  3. brownizs

brownizs In the Trades

Easy fix, find a new inspector. Second fix, ask the first to provide the code reference, and what code the city goes by. Looking at one of the Inspector Forums, it amazes me how some of those guys stay in business, due to they are just like you and I, ask 100's of questions, and then still doubt what they see during the course of work that they are paid to make sure is correct.
  4. jar546

jar546 In the Trades

Either:

A) The inspector is wrong.

B) You are mis-interpreting what the inspector said.
  5. Billy_Bob

Billy_Bob In the Trades

Is that outside outlet on its own circuit or does that circuit also provide power for things inside as well?
  6. Chris75

Chris75 Electrician

Does it matter? The electrician that hooked it up is a goof.
  7. Alectrician

Alectrician DIY Senior Member

What if they are tapped from a bedroom circuit?
  8. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

It's not that it can't have AFCI protection, it doesn't require it for an outside outlet...