Dead switch and outlets

Users who are viewing this thread

Gbrock86

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I recently attempted to install a new outlet and I somehow wired it wrong. I'm not sure how it went wrong since I've done it several times in the past, but it did. Anyway, when I turned on the power the outlet went dead along with a switch a few feet away from the outlet and an outlet in the room next to it.

I'm in IT and don't know much about wiring at all. I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts about what may be causing this issue? It isn't tripping the breaker and it didn't trip any of the gfci outlets in the house either.

I appreciate anyone who has any thoughts or ideas.

Reach4

Reaction score
Did you wire the non-white wire to a brass screw and the white wire to a silver screw?

What did you wire to the green screw?

How many conductors enter the box that holds the outlet, and what are the colors, if you know?

Afjes

Reaction score
Did the switch control the outlet/s?
If so did the switch control both the upper and lower portion of the outlet or just one portion?

What wires were on the outlet/receptacle that you removed?
Do not count ground wires in the discussion.

Gbrock86

Reaction score
Did the switch control the outlet/s?
If so did the switch control both the upper and lower portion of the outlet or just one portion?

What wires were on the outlet/receptacle that you removed?
Do not count ground wires in the discussion.
No, the switch did not control either outlet. There were two wires for the outlet. A white and a black.

Gbrock86

Reaction score
Did you wire the non-white wire to a brass screw and the white wire to a silver screw?

What did you wire to the green screw?

How many conductors enter the box that holds the outlet, and what are the colors, if you know?
I wired it exactly how the old outlet was wired. I put the ground wire on the green screw. I am pretty sure that there was a quick spark when I turned on the power right before it killed the power to the two outlets and the switch.

WorthFlorida

6th clinical trail chemotherapy 5/15/24
Solutions
Reaction score
Disconnect the added outlet at the outlet you're using for power. With power on is there power at the old outlet and switch? Use a volt meter if you have one or a non contact voltage tester.

Afjes

Reaction score
I'm in IT and don't know much about wiring at all.
Just a side note here: I was an IT Analyst/Programmer and an Electrician; I can tell you they don't relate to one another so don't feel bad :cool: :)

You may want to try leaving the receptacle and switch hanging out of the boxes when turning the breaker back on. Just be careful no one touches anything. This way you can tell if you created a short in any of the boxes when you pushed the receptacle or switch back into the box by the bare ground wire touching the hot screw.