Extending portable dishwasher hose (w/pics!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Davej

Reaction score
I have a brand new Whirlpool DP840SWSX portable dishwasher. I took my dishwasher unicouple hose to a local outfit to be extended. Unfortunately, it came out much longer than I needed. The problem is, a significant amount of the hose previously resided inside the machine, forming a high loop inside the cabinet. Unfortunately, the outer diameter of the new hose is larger and can't fit in the plastic channel that forms the high loop inside the machine. I have the fill/drain lines come up from the bottom of the machine and out the back, where it goes around a wall, across a counter and to the sink. There is no room in the kitchen for a portable dishwasher, the goal was to leave it stationary just outside the kitchen, and leave the hose on the counter for a quick hookup. I only need a dishwasher for a year until school is over :)

Anyways, is this excess hose/loop going to cause significant problems down the road? It seems to run well, dishes are clean, drains fine... I just don't want to prematurely wear something out. Here is a picture for everyone to admire:

portable-dishwasher-hose-length.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hose

If it doesn't bother you there should be no problem. The original configuration was designed for a specific hose but your installation does the same thing in an alternate way.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
When you run it, if you could straighten out the hose and take the loop out as much as possible, that would be good.

I might take the trouble after each use to put a pan on the floor, and lower that hose down to let it drain out. Discharge water left standing in the hose could cause an odor, especially if you don't run it for a few days.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
A little bit of extra pipe, tube or wire never did anyone any harm. You should look round the back of my fridge. The icemaker has about 4 foot of extra pipe. It makes pulling the fridge out very easy too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks