Extender for faucet spout shank

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Mayabit, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Mayabit

Mayabit New Member

Hi! I bought this huge, honking faucet for my island kitchen remodel. It's a real beauty - restaurant style, very similar to one in the IKEA catalog but with English, not metric, sizing. Anyway, here's the problem: my countertop is built up about 4 1/2 inches and I know I'm going to have problems with securing the spout shank with the mounting nut because the shank is only about 2-3 inches. (I'm at work, so I'm guessing on the length.) Is there such a thing as a spout shank extender I can use for this kitchen faucet?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Maya
  2. seaofnames

seaofnames DIY Senior Member

What is your countertop made out of? If its wood/particle board, drill out most of the thickness with a hole saw so its only the depth of a normal countertop or whatever will fit for the normal sized shank.
  3. Mayabit

Mayabit New Member

Actually that's what I originally thought I'd have to do, but I was hoping to find an easier way. :D

The countertop is plywood with corian on top. I was going for a "massive" stone look.

Thanks!

Maya
  4. seaofnames

seaofnames DIY Senior Member

Then boring/cutting a hole(from the underside) IS the easiest way!!

Buying adaptors/extensions and other weird parts can get pricey and possibly take a few days/weeks to get, unless your local plumbing supply store has one or knows what exactly what you need.