Extend well casing - weld or Dresser coupling ?

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Astrowood, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Astrowood

Astrowood New Member

My well has not been touched in 32 years. I have used, and repaired jet pumps 3 times in the past - now is the time to go submersible. The top of the well was buried 3 ft deep (not deeper than the frost line, and yet has never froze - I live in Canada) and I have plenty of surface water as the pit has filled with a foot of water each day as I prepare the hole for the new casing. I have called a local welder with lots of well casing experience, and I have also priced a Dresser coupling which has a 10" reach (5"on each pipe, epoxy coated, stainless bolts).
    The cost of welding is within $10 dollars of the price of the coupling. Using the coupling has a real time advantage for me (scheduling of welder), and solves a couple of other minor problems. The coupling is the exact match for the well pipe and extension.
    Am I nuts for considering a coupling over welding ? As I mentioned, lots of surface water, and well contamination is a concern. The well is in the backyard and in no danger of being hit by anything.

Thoughts ??
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  2. craigpump

craigpump Member

I have used Dresser couplings and I have welded casing extensions, never had a problem with either one.
  3. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

Personally, I think a dresser coupling is fine but the code says otherwize.
  4. masterpumpman

masterpumpman New Member

I would approve a properly installed dresser coupling however it depends on what the state approves.