Drywalling around fiberglass shower

Users who are viewing this thread

frodnew

Reaction score
I am installing a fiberglass (or acrylic) corner shower in a bath remodel. I understand I will have to fur out the studs to allow the drywall to overlap the shower flange. And from previous threads I gather the drywall should be left approx 1/4" from the shower to prevent moisture from wicking into the drywall - and then the gap caulked.

Questions:

Should I use regular drywall, moisture resistant drywall, or green board?
Are there any special treatments to the edge of the drywall abutting the shower?

Any other suggestions also welcome.

Thanks,
Bruce

JDkimes

Engineer
Reaction score
Water resistant gypsum board (green board) is required around showers, and edges must be sealed with a water resitant seal (caulking) is required by the IRC.
I'd also use a couple coats of water/mildew resistant primer such as Kilz-2 prior to using a bathroom quality paint.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks