Drywall or greenboard above shower stall?

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by TheMarq, Aug 8, 2011.

1. TheMarq

TheMarq New Member

I just finished installing a 4-piece fiberglass tub and shower surround. Should I use greenboard or regular drywall (or something else) on the walls above the shower?
  2. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple Bathroom Design & Build - North Vancouver, B.C.

Are the walls and ceiling going to receive tile or just paint.

Green drywall is junk in my opinion and no worth any premium over regular drywall. Invest in a good primer (Zissner Cover Stain) and excellent bathroom paint if you are going that route. Drywalling ceilings you should work with a ceiling drywall or 12" center joists.

If your setting tile on those walls 1/2" cement board or 1/2" hardie work great - so does Green EBoard. Green EBoard is not green drywall.

[​IMG]

Good Luck

JW
  3. TheMarq

TheMarq New Member

Just paint - and I will take your advice on using quality paint and primer. Thanks.