Drain size for washer in Canada

Users who are viewing this thread

MIKE007

Reaction score
My vertical drain is 1 1/2. There is a dishwasher + kitchen sink on the first floor and a washing machine in the basement connected trough a back flow valve after the p-trap. I newer used both washing machines at the same time. Is this diameter fine for both machines at the same time or I need 2"?

Thanks

MikePlummer

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
maximum hydraulic load (fixture units) drained to a 1-1/2" soil or waste stack - 8FU
maximum fixtures units from any one storey drained to a 1-1/2" soil or waste stack - 5FU

kitchen sink = 1.5 FU
dishwasher = if separately trapped with 1-1/2" trap - 1FU if connected to sink or garbage disposal - 0FU
clothes washer = 1.5FU with 1-1/2" trap

assuming all piping and venting is proper - your arrangement meets code requirements

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I believe Canadian codes are different in that they have not upped the drain sizes as the US has. Your 1-1/2" may be legal, but 2" sure would be better.

Bill Shack

30years plumbing 10years plumbing inspector
Reaction score
I disagree, The pipe must be at least 2 inches, Further the Quebec amended canadian code is about to change so that all laundry machines connection are minimum 2 inches.

Toto

Reaction score
Does this plumbing code differentiate between the different types and sizes of washers? I am asking, because I am trying to get a plumber install a compact, 2.2 cu ft., 24'' wide, front load washer in the place of my dishwasher in my kitchen. And despite the fact that the washer's manual asks for a minimum of 1 1/4 '' drain pipe, all I get by the plumbers is that can not do the job because my drain pipes are 1 3/4'' whereas their codes requires dain pipes for washers to be 2''.

I am not a professional plumber, but I think there is quite a difference between a 6 cu. ft . washer and a 2.2 cu. ft. washer. So do these plumber codes make a difference based on the size of the washers and the amounts of water they use in setting the drain pipe requirements?