Drain Maintenance

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by coopns, Apr 27, 2012.

1. coopns

coopns New Member

Is there any maintenance you can do for your sink/bath tub drains? I guess to prevent future clogging. I don't know, just thinking ahead.
  2. Cookie

Cookie .

Don't wash your hair in the sink. In the tub, check it once a month for hair in the drain, and pulling it out with a zipstrip, which are available at Lowes or HD, in the plumbing dept. And, so far as, the kitchen sink, do not pour any grease down the drain. One other maybe, do not wash your cats or dogs in the tub or sink.
  3. SteveW

SteveW DIY Senior Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Do not use caustic chemicals such as Drano...ever. Maybe I'm just lucky, but in 42 years in my house, I've never put any cleaner in to my drain and I've never had a clog. I avoid the obvious things like grease and I don't use a disposal.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Anything you use in the drain, while it is working, may not help, but at least it should not cause a problem. My wife has had, and used, disposers for 55 years and the only time she stopped up the drain was when she tried to grind artichoke leaves.
  6. Clog Pro

Clog Pro New Member

Hair and grease are definitely the biggest offenders. Keep them out of the drains and your likelihood of getting a clog goes WAY down.