Doorbell Wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

MK_Chicago

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Could use some help replacing two doorbell chimes because I am not understanding how the existing setup lines up with a new doorbell wiring requirements. I have a single doorbell (front door) and two chimes, one located on each of the first and second floors. I attached a diagram.

The doorbell has two black wires running to it which become a single red and black wire connected to the doorbell.

The first floor existing chime has fur black wires and two white wires running to it. One set of black wires come from the bell and the other set of blacks come from the transformer. I am not sure of the source of the white wires but I am assuming those are the ones going upstairs. Each of the sets of black wires has one connected to the chime and the other ones are taped together.

The second floor existing chime has two white wires connected.

There is a transformer in the basement. The new doorbell chime says that there needs to be a transformer and that three wires should be connected (Front Door Push Button, Transformer, Rear Door Push Button). I am thinking of wiring it the way I show in the diagram (Wiring Diagram After) but looking for someone smarter to validate.

Attachments

• Doorbell2.jpg
    Doorbell2.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 543
  • Doorbell1.jpg
    Doorbell1.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 499
  • Doorbell3.jpg
    Doorbell3.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 489
  • wiring diagram.png
    wiring diagram.png
    144.1 KB · Views: 10,522
  • wiring diagram after.png
    wiring diagram after.png
    124.2 KB · Views: 2,445
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I am thinking this way. If your chime has other terminals, one or two may be for the back door to make a different sound.

Attachments

• img_2.png
    img_2.png
    158.1 KB · Views: 4,582

MK_Chicago

Reaction score
I am thinking this way. If your chime has other terminals, one or two may be for the back door to make a different sound.
Thanks Reach4. It does have three terminals (front door button, back door button, transformer) so I am assuming I just don't use the back door one. Thanks again

Reach4

Reaction score
Note that you can splice the wires away from the terminals if it is more convenient.

Also note those transformers often fail. Don't make it inaccessible. I would consider 20 years often, compared to other things that you hard-wire into place.

MK_Chicago

Reaction score
Reach4 - Redid the wiring according to your diagram, splicing away from terminals and everything works! Thanks so much

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks