Does anybody out there not like their Toto?

Users who are viewing this thread

closer

Reaction score
so far all I can find are rave reviews for this make... my toilet exploded while I was sitting on it this past weekend... literally blew up... actually the tank fell apart... common with an old crane I hear... and water spewed averywhere... at least I flushed in time to use some of the water left in the tank... the rest went downstairs somewhere!:eek:

so... we almost bought a toilet on the quick... glad we didn't cuz today I saw the Totos and they look pretty good... and all the posts here seem to feel that way...

are there any pitfalls to getting any of the Totos?... I'm looking at the dual flush as well as the one piece unit... we live in the country and I'd describe our water flow as weak at best...

also... anyone in Ontario, east of toronto know of a dealer who sports a decent price on these units?

TPA

Reaction score
Nothing negative to say about the ones I've owned (Drake/Pacifica) which I've had for almost 5 full years now. Bowl wash could be better on the Pacifica, but very impressed with the Drake. About to order 2 Aquias for my newest place. The only negative thing I can possibly say about the Toto toilets would be that some of them are "more difficult to install" than a regular toilet in that they have a separate adapter/trapway which gets installed first, then the toilet. That said, I've found this to be easier, BUT, it is an extra step which some plumbers will grumble about.

cst804s-terrylove-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

kc567567

Reaction score
closer said:
s....
also... anyone in Ontario, east of toronto know of a dealer who sports a decent price on these units?

I don't have one ..... yet ..... but i am looking to jump in. Here in Ottawa you can find the Toto's pretty easily but it looks like the big guys (home depot, canadian tire, rona) deal only in the N.A. established brands.

One thing is clear many of the low water volume toilets are "crappy". Even within brands some are great, others are useless.

Consum. Reports reflects this but they only tested one Toto (Carlyle) ... it finished 10th out of 26 (and was one of only 7 of their recommended quick picks). They base their ratings on flush ability, noise and cleaning.

In another study (2003), rating only flush ability, Toto took 7 of the top 23 positions (out of about 100 tested). Only the Toto Ultimate was to be avoided ( not to be confused with the Ultramax .... it was OK).

I just noticed a 2006 edition study ..... looks interesting. You will notice that Toto is not the best ..... but unlike other makes most models are all very good.

http://www.cwwa.ca/pdf_files/MaP_7th_Edition_06-07-07.pdf

KC

Jluksic

Reaction score
I dislike the Dalton's ability to clear the bowl. The "wash" doesn't seem to cover the entire bowl.

wjd

Reaction score
I have the dartmouth and it does not wash the side of the bowl well

Stimpsonjcatt

Reaction score
I have had the Drake now for approx 4 yrs and the new Aquia (sp??) for a year and the only thing negative I can say is that they leave "skid" marks after the first flush. Sometimes they go away on the second one with additional TP in the bowl but sometimes they won't come off until you get out the ole scraper.

The Aquia is much much worse than the Drake though. I'm geussing it's because of the flush design.

The Aquia dual flush mechanism is a little hoaky too. Once you understand the mechanism you can push either button and it will flush the same amount of water. Not real user freindly for a person who hasn't seen one before.

Hope this helps.

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
Good grief, even my old Crane toilets flush better than what you described there.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
stimpsonjcatt said:
I have had the Drake now for approx 4 yrs and the new Aquia (sp??) for a year and the only thing negative I can say is that they leave "skid" marks after the first flush. Sometimes they go away on the second one with additional TP in the bowl but sometimes they won't come off until you get out the ole scraper.

The Aquia is much much worse than the Drake though. I'm geussing it's because of the flush design.

The Aquia dual flush mechanism is a little hoaky too. Once you understand the mechanism you can push either button and it will flush the same amount of water. Not real user freindly for a person who hasn't seen one before.

Hope this helps.

Well it does help actually...thats the first bad review I've read about the Aquia.
The mechanism is a Dual flush. Small side is .9 flush and large side is full flush. They do not flush the same amount.

No one ever said it flushes better than a Drake.
No skid marks-No worries at all on this end.

Aquia is New technology and you have to approach it like that and buy one in the spirit of saving water.
We have discussed some minor personal adjustments. My Toto Aquia soft close seat ensures that my body is centered, upright and erect when I'm sitting down.

The unique Toto seat is part of the equation imo. I think they should all be sold with that seat as they did originally.

IMO If you aren't willing to make minor allowances with any New technology then you are not a good candidate to try them out.

It is my understanding that all toilets in australia have small water spots.
It's all about conservation.

Mike

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks