Does AAV have to be directly inline with through-floor drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sokolq55

Reaction score
Does an AAV have to sit directly in vertical line with a drain going through floor or can the vent be routed a bit to the side? Current through floor drain is off-center below sink and if I place an AAV directly over the the drain, I can't really go up much before hitting the bottom of the sink. If I want my AAV to be at least above the sink strainer, I need to route the AAV such that i will no longer be in a straight vertical line with the existing floor drain location. Is this possible or should I reroute my entire drain location to a place where the AAV stack can be properly high enough? Thank you.

Reach4

Reaction score
You can route the vent to the AAV at up to 45 degrees off of plumb for the first 6 inches above the floor. Higher than that can be horizontal but sloped to drain the water -- maybe 1/4 inch per foot or more with 2 inch pipe.. However the AAV itself should be within 15 degrees of plumb.

Floor drains are special, and it seems to me that they are not required to be vented in the same way a sink drain would need to be. See what you make of page 16 of https://www.iccsafe.org/wp-content/uploads/20-18927_GR_2021_Plumbing_Venting_Brochure.pdf

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks