Do we need a new sewer cleanout cap?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by newowner, Jul 5, 2006.

1. newowner

newowner New Member

We recently purchased a home where the sewer cleanout has a cap that looks like black plastic and it is not a solid cover but is slotted so rain or dirt and who knows what else could get in there. I noticed on walks around my neighborhood everyone else has solid metal-looking caps (our caps are all in the front yards). For what purpose would our house have a slotted cap and should this be changed? I think our home inspector told us it was illegal to have a slotted cap. Is it hard to remove this cap and where do we buy a new cap? Should we have our main sewer line snaked in case the slots let all kinds of dirt and sediment into our line?
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

cap

It should simply unscrew and you can get a replacement at almost any hardware or "big box" store.
  3. prashster

prashster New Member

If you haven't had drainage problems, then (if it were me) I wouldn't pay to have it snaked. I would, however, confirm that you are indeed looking at your cleanout before you replace the cap.
  4. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

Are you sure your not looking a t an area drain that goes to a drainage ditch or storm sewer?