Do we need a new sewer cleanout cap?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by newowner, Jul 5, 2006.

1. newowner

newowner Homeowner

Jul 4, 2006
    We recently purchased a home where the sewer cleanout has a cap that looks like black plastic and it is not a solid cover but is slotted so rain or dirt and who knows what else could get in there. I noticed on walks around my neighborhood everyone else has solid metal-looking caps (our caps are all in the front yards). For what purpose would our house have a slotted cap and should this be changed? I think our home inspector told us it was illegal to have a slotted cap. Is it hard to remove this cap and where do we buy a new cap? Should we have our main sewer line snaked in case the slots let all kinds of dirt and sediment into our line?
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona

It should simply unscrew and you can get a replacement at almost any hardware or "big box" store.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. prashster

prashster New Member

Dec 7, 2005
    If you haven't had drainage problems, then (if it were me) I wouldn't pay to have it snaked. I would, however, confirm that you are indeed looking at your cleanout before you replace the cap.
  5. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

Aug 7, 2005
    Are you sure your not looking a t an area drain that goes to a drainage ditch or storm sewer?