Do I see a flange or top of a drain pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Driver

Reaction score
Hi.Sound stupid, but here my question.
I recently removed my vinyl/underlayment(3/8") to get ready to install a ceramic tile flooring. I notice that after taken the wax off, the item I see is a cast iron looking flange or ring of a drain pipe(not sure). It have two v shape cut out where I assume the flange bolts were attached to(the bolt rusted out and remain attached to the toilet itself. (the head is completely gone). This means the stool were never attach to the floor all this time and without any movement.Now this flange or drain ring have no screws of any kind attached to the subfloor. The way the sub floor opening were cut, it seem like its siting on edge of the cut out but never attached to the subfloor. So I assumes tht this flange or drain ring is only just attach with lead to the cast iron and hanging on edge of cut out, correct?
Now the question is, do I buy a closet extenion and just set above It. I will bolt right into the floor and directly over the old flange? Will this create a gap which will cause a possible leak between the extention and the existing flange or drain ring? Still not sure if it a flange or just a drain opening?

I'm confuse.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
CI is a premium way to do things...quiet and lasts a long time. The flange is likely leaded to the CI pipe. The best way to resolve this is to remove it, and have a plumber install a new one, leaded to the pipe after you get the new tile in (you must leave enough space for it to fit). Pouring a lead joint is not something a DIY'er typically is prepared to do. By the time you got the tools and knowledge, you could have paid a plumber to do it right the first time. But, you can use a repair ring. These get installed with some silicon and then screwed down. Depending on the shape of the existing one, you may or may not want to do that. CI is typically strong enough that many times they don't screw the flange to the subflooring. It's still a good idea, and you really want to do that if the pipe is PVC or ABS, but you can get away with it on CI.

If the pipe is 4" ID, there are some expanding flanges that can fit inside. They have gaskets on the outside that seal it against the inside of the pipe. You'd need to ensure you screwed this down to the subflooring. You also need to clean the inside of the pipe so the gaskets can seal. If it isn't in that great a condition, leading on an external flange is the way to go. So, there is more than one way to resolve this.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

Without seeing it we do not even know if you have a problem. A cast iron flange seldom needs to be fastened to the subfloor, and if the bolt slots are intact, and you remove the old bolt heads from beneath them, the new ones should fit right in. We cannot tell if its height is high, low, or perfect, but unless it is too high a standard, or an extra thich wax ring will make the seal.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Closet flange problem ! Replacement !

First you break off old flange by using a heavy hammer and big cold cheisel
at where the toilet bolts usedn to go this will crack down both sides of flange then you spead apart enough to dig out old lead and oakum then the two peices will come out !

Go to www.instantset.com
this is for frankpattern&mfg. Co.

You will see a picture of a replacement flange that you just slip over the c.i.
Pipe then thighten the (3) 7/16" bolt heads down with a 1/4" rachet
any thing bigger will snap the bolts !

Standard size is 4" dim. By 2" deep but the also come 4"x4" deep to set above your tile flooring !

Post pictures before and after !

Driver

Reaction score
Thanks guys: I beleive this is a lesd solder flange that the reason no screws of any except two opposites v shape nichres along the edge of the circumference of the ring.
The ring is in good shape only missing is the bolts. My problems is how to get a extender to boted together to the existing to bring it to above my new tile floor which will be next step.

I will try to get a photo to the thread in a few days.
Bill

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If it's not excessively low, you'd probably be okay with a thick wax ring, although the proper way is to install it on top of the finished floor. Probably millions of flanges where it is lower than ideal.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

You can "believe" anything you want to, but that does not tell us anything about the flange. A lead bend would usually have a brass flange, not a cast iron one. How about a picture so WE can figure out exactly what you have and whether you have to make any revision to it.

Driver

Reaction score
Will here a photo of my flange. Notice is a cast iron and no screws.
These photo are bad, will send better shots tommarrow when I get home tonight.
Just for the mean times to share some thought from you all. My problem is if I were to attach a PVC flange extention above it, how do I attach it to the flange? Can I screw through a cast iron withut breaking it?
thx. Bill

Attachments

• toilet flange 002.jpg
    toilet flange 002.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 350
  • toilet flange 001.jpg
    toilet flange 001.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 351

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Eeww . . . good luck with a PVC extension.

If you can get to the pipe below the floor, it should be cut and a new flange installed with a ring beneath it to bring it up to the proper height.

Driver

Reaction score
Hi you all: Here a better photos of the flange I currently uncovered in my bathroom.As you notice, no screws of any except the v cut for the flange bolts.

Now the question are:
How and what flange intender in the market will I be able to attach or secure [/B]to this flange and able to get the top of new flange to be above my finish(tile) floor. Since this was flush with my old vnyl floor(3/8")floor and new finish tile (1/4"cement bd,1/4"pre-mix cement motar on both side of cement board and then 1/4"ceramic tile)= 1"-3/8"=5/8", that mean I will need at least anothe 3/4" above the current flange height to raise a little over the finish floor, correct? Do not want to break the CIflange.
Thx. see attachment flangebb(3) better shots.

Attachments

• toilet flangebb 001.jpg
    toilet flangebb 001.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 301
  • toilet flangebb 002.jpg
    toilet flangebb 002.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 324
  • toilet flangebb 003.jpg
    toilet flangebb 003.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks