Do I need conduit?

Users who are viewing this thread

comfun1

Reaction score
I could not get any 4-2 wg to connect my air handler to my breaker box so I bought 4 copper and 8 copper single strand. Can I bundle these together and run them through the attic like romex or do they have to run in conduit?

Jim Port

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.manta.com
Individual conductors like you bought need to be installed in a complete conduit system from the panel to the unit or junction box. You just cannot run conduit part way and slide the conductors through.

comfun1

Reaction score
According to my calculations two 4's and an 8 can run in 3/4" conduit and be within the 40% fill rule. Am I right?

comfun1

Reaction score
There are two 4's and an 8. I looked at a chart and it said 1" for three 4's, so I calculated it for two 4's and an 8 and got 3/4". Was your chart for two 4's and an 8, or three 4's?

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
#4 wire for an air handler?

Must be heat strips.

Just get the right cable.

comfun1

Reaction score
You're right. Heat strips it is. I have decided to run them in a 3/4" smurf pipe and see what the inspector says

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks