Do I need chlorine filter with Kinetico and city water?

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by belfert, Jul 15, 2011.

1. belfert

belfert New Member

I recently got a used Kinetico Supra K45. I took it to the local Kinetico dealer and they rebuilt it for $625.

They mentioned based on the city I am in that I should have a chlorine filter in front of the softener. Is this really necessary? Where can I get one for a decent price?

I'm not entirely happy with the Kinetico dealer. They wouldn't provide any sort of installation directions even after spending $625. The older retired guy that does all the reconditioning only works Mondays and Tuesday. He would have probably helped me if the was there when I picked up the unit. He gave me a set of plumbing adapters he was probably supposed to charge for.
  2. mialynette2003

mialynette2003 Member

Chlorine will take it's toll on your softener. You don't "Have To" get a carbon filter, but IMO, it's a good idea. The unit will last longer and it will improve the taste of your water. You can buy a carbon filter from a number of online dealer for about the same price of your rebuilt softener. The installation could be easy depending on the type of piping you have.