Dishwasher drain clog

Users who are viewing this thread

gwarwick

Reaction score
I have an installed GE dishwasher with what appears to be a clogged drain line. We've had no problems with leaks (touch wood) and the water level at the end of the cycle is at the bottom of the door. I've done the following:

1. Emptied the water, removed and cleared the trap, and used a basting syringe to get as much of the water and any debris out.
2. Run two empty cycles (hot water, no dishes or detergent) with the thinking that if we're getting debris out then we're eventually going to clear the blockage.

Other suggestions/advice on what I should try?

thanks
Guy

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Drain Clog

YES try checking where you tied the dishwasher drain did you knock out the drain plug inside the G/D drain

JERRYMAC MASTERPLUMBER:D

gwarwick

Reaction score
Plug removed :)

Jerry,

thanks for the suggestion. Yes, the plug was removed prior to installation. The dishwasher has been in use for a couple of months no without problem, until now.

Anything else I can try? E.g., what gauge of wire would make for a good snake without damaging the drain line (the standard translucent accordion-style flexible tubing).

thanks
Guy

Mort

Reaction score
Twere me, I'd disconnect the drain line from the diposal and try blowing into it to see if anything comes out the other end. If I was going to disconnect the drain line from the DW, I think I'd just replace the whole thing. Depending on how long the drain line was, I think I'd try a piece of welding rod as an auger if space permitted.

Mort

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Odds are, any blockage is more toward the dishwasher end. I'd pull the hose off the dishwasher and then blow from the disposer end, either by mouth, vacuum cleaner, or shop air. If it seems clear, then you've got dishwasher problems. I don't know much about them, but I assume there's a screen, a sump of some kind, a pump, and a sensor and control system to tell the pump when it can stop pumping. You might be able to check the screen OK, but if it's clean, then it might be time to call Mr GE to check the pump and the no-doubt high-tech controls to see if some sensor or something might not be up to snuff. Is it still under warranty?

Googling "dishwasher doesn't drain" resulted in over 116,000 hits, with several good suggestions in the first page...

Last edited:

Wondering

Reaction score
If you disconnect the drain hose from the dishwasher pump under the machine why not get a small pan and put under there, then hit the cancel/drain button. If it starts pumping out of the d/washer then you know the pump is fine but the line is the problem.

Mine has one of those "accordian" clear type hoses. I wondered how long that type will stand up to hot water/detergent before it will break or split/crack. The ones I have had previously all had black rubber hoses on them.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I had a home owner buy a new dishwasher because the old one was not draining. Well after the new one was installed we noticed it would not drain so I cleared the barbed joint (dishwasher connection) at the disposer and solved the problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks