"Dirt" Mud Clogging Water Filters - Well Inspection Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Skoby

Reaction score
I recently started a thread on back wash filters because I am tired of changing cartridges on house filters. I read in another thread that dirt/mud in the water could be a cracked well casing.

The well is appr. 400 ft, looks like a 6" steel casing, house built in the 70's and I'm assuming well was drilled then.

Should I have my well inspected?
Would the driller be the person who would run a scope down there to check for cracks?
Any idea of the cost to have a cost to have it inspected?
Are there any questions I should ask when calling?

First pic shows "dirt" ratio to sediment

Second pic shows what the "dirt" looks like vs sediment when dry (taken from 20 micron spin down filter).

Third pic is the water test results from years ago but the dirt/mud issue was also there when this test was performed.

Fine dirt on right, coarse sediment on the left

20191115_091341.jpg

"Dirt" and Sediment dried out

thumbnail (3).jpeg

thumbnail (4).jpeg

Past Test Result

test water.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Is that grass clippings? Was your well cap missing?

Skoby

Reaction score
Is that grass clippings? Was your well cap missing?

I pulled the well cap. and that pile of grass clippings was sitting there along with spider eggs, small animal hair, etc. I can see the water level about 10' down and it looks like stuff is floating there too.

I wonder if there is a way to clean the well. I see there is air lift cleaning but I'm not sure if that would work. I don't know how many years debris has been going into my well but I'd sure like to have it cleaned it out.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Looks like you have a mouse. 10' down you might be able to suck the floating debris off the top with a shop vac. A camera inspection would also be a good idea. Sometimes a well is not repairable and drilling a new one is needed. There is not much of a better investment than a good well.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need to replace your well cap with an insect proof one. Looks like every time you mow the lawn grass clippings could be blown into the well. Obviously spiders are able to climb in. It wouldn’t be surprising that vermin have crawled in also. That could be part of the reason for the positive coliform results.

with a 10 ft static, I would agree with Cary. Try to get a shop vac to suck that foreign material out. Also try to suck any debris off the top of the water.

get the sanitation issue solved before tackling the sediment problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks