1. lifespeed

lifespeed Member

How cost-effective is it to have deionized water available in the home? I see some "car wash" systems that appear to be fairly low capacity. My needs are not that great, just washing the cars and windows on the house.

The resin can't be regenerated, can it? Do you buy regenerated resin and then throw it away?
  2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

We have a variety of water treatment for use in our steam turbine and in our labs. The labs use exchange cylinders that are sent out for regeneration.

http://puretecwater.com/resources/basics-of-ion-exchange.pdf

Why not just use RO water? For home cleaning, cooking, and drinking use, I find it to be pure enough.
  3. lifespeed

lifespeed Member

RO water is fine, just not practical for tens of gallons through a hose.
  4. ditttohead

ditttohead Water systems designer, R&D

I highly recommend a DI system. Check out this link, you can see my system design. I feed a large holding tank from my dual 100 GPD RO membranes, that feed the house drinking faucets. The large black tank to the right is my 2 cu. ft. DI tank for the car wash hose reel. http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?45302-Prototype-system&highlight=prototype

The resin is disposed of when it is exhausted. I have 4 cars that get washed regularly. The DI is only used for the final rinse and 2 cu. ft. has lasted 5 years so far. It also feeds a garage lab spout for testing, and for filling windex refills, etc.

It produced 15 Meg water easily.

One time use DI resin is fairly inexpensive.

Hope this helps!
  5. lifespeed

lifespeed Member

Very nice. I'll have to look into that. Where I live DI water to rinse the car is a must. I am not too thrilled with the automatic car wash's eggbeater-on-the-paint effect, despite the DI water rinse.
  6. mialynette2003

mialynette2003 Member

I love it. Reminds me of Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor. More power.