Dewinterize Plumbing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bezi44

Reaction score
Can someone please tell me the basic steps to dewinterizing plumbing in a reagular house? The power and heat are already on (actually, weren't shut down). This house is attached to a well. Thanks. The house is in Michigan.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
dewinterize

Well, what was done to winterize it? Were plugs removes? Were traps taken apart? Was some electric turned off?

I'm from Michigan also. What part of Michigan are you from?

Bezi44

Reaction score
Dewinterize

I'll have to double check exactly what was done. It's a house I'm buying (haven't closed yet) so I haven't got down to the nitty gritty. Will do though.

I'm in Holland, Michigan. You?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
"It's a house I'm buying (haven't closed yet)"[/I]

In that case there is more to it than "Dewinterizing", because there may be issues with equipment that are concealed by the fact that things aren't available to test. And you will be responsible for the cost to fix them afte you close.

I would test every element of the system. Every faucet, shower/tub, toilet, and drain. Run enough water to cycle the pump through several pressure cycles and be sure the tank is not waterlogged or damaged. Check the pressure gauge and pressure switch. Pump continuously to discharge at least 500 gallons of water to check the well.

Put at least 200 gallons to the septic tank. Around here (In Massachusetts) you can't sell a house with a septic system until it has been checked and certified as working. A new septic system will cost $10k to $20k.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Northville for 40 years and South Lyon for 6. Just north of Ann Arbor.

Start by closing the main valve to the house and close the main drain at the pressure tank.
Assuming you have a submersible pump, just turn on the electric to the well and allow the pressure tank to fill.

Make sure all traps are in place. Take all aerators off the faucets..Close all stops and faucets faucets and/or prop up the toilet float valves .

Fill the water heater and at the same time open the hot water side at the laundry tub or you can go to the bath tub and open the hot there, so as to bleed all of the air from the water heater. When the water flows there close the faucet.

Turn the ele. on at the heater or light the pilot and start the water to heating.

Go to each faucet and release the air and then let the toilets fill, and come back to this site and ask additional questions because these guys are good.

Bezi44

Reaction score
Dewinterize

Ok. So I bought the house as a foreclosure and had to sign an "as is" clause. So if something is messed up with the well or plumbing, I'm ahhh...well, you know.

Anyway, I'm debating on getting a plumber in to dewinterize instead of trying it ourselves. I called one guy and he 'guessed' at $150-$250. Does that sound reasonable? It sounded like he'd never done it before so if I was going that route, I'd look for someone who has done it.

The stickers said it's been winterized since 11/20/05. The furnance and electrical have both been on the whole time. I peeked in the toilet and it's empty. There is a switch by the well pump that is turned off right now. What else should I look for to decide if it's worth us doing it or just calling in a plumber?

Yep, I'm a novice. :D
Thanks.

Bezi44

Reaction score
I forgot, the house wasn't your typical run down forclosure. Rather a 60's ranch in need of some updating. Well cared for. Someone must have lost their job or got a transfer and couldn't keep up the payments.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Be sure all faucets are closed and remove the airators.

Close the main valve coming into the house.

Turn on the well pump and check that the pressure comes up and stops.

Open the main valve a little and check for leaks as the system fills.

Let the water heater and toilets fill also and check that they shut off.

Go to each faucet and allow the water to flow slowly until the the air is gone then turn on full and run until the water is clear. Hot and cold.

Replace airators and turn on power to the water heater.

Repair any leaks you find, obviously.

Normal winterising of the DWV system is done with RV antifreeze that just gets washed/rinsed down the drain.

Pour 1 qt of water down floor drains and in washing machine drain.

Last edited:

Sparking5

Electrician, JIW
Reaction score
plumber1 said:
Make sure all traps are in place. Take all aerators off the faucets..Close all stops and faucets faucets and/or prop up the toilet float valves .
plumber1 said:
Hi Plumber1, I got the aerators off this vanity. Did I do it right? :D

Attachments

• P1010011-1.JPG
    P1010011-1.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 12,584
Last edited:

Sparking5

Electrician, JIW
Reaction score
Michigan Dewinterizing of Foreclosed Houses

(Plumber1, I tried to get a quote from you in my post above but didn't do it right).

I too am in the process of dewinterizing in Michigan. I wish you luck. Sounds like you had more utilities remain operating. Glad spring is very close.

Bezi44

Reaction score
Dewinterize

Yikes, that place looks nasty.

I still haven't had the guts to attempt the dewinterizing yet. Working long evenings with no toilet or water is going to get old really quick.

I'm wondering what the worst damage I can do?

Bezi44

Reaction score
Pump Pressure

We followed your instructions and when it came time to turn on the pump, we didn't see anything happen.

How long does it usually take for the pump to get up to pressure?

We probably waited only a minute or two and turned it back off just in case we messed something up.
Thanks.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Do you know where the well and pressure tank are? In the ground or in the basement or a well pit?

Is the pump a submersible or is it a jet pump? Do you see the pump?

Make sure the main shut off valve is turned off when you turn the electric on.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Is there a well pressure gauge some where that you can see?

Bezi44

Reaction score
Dewinterize

Yes, there is a visible pressure gage. Yes, it is in the basement.

Not sure about the rest of the details so I took pictures. I hope they upload OK.

Having problems uploading pictures...

Goulds Jet Pump. P/n: J04853 1/2HP.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Depending on age and condition it may or may not be working. I would go to a big box store and replace it then turn on the well pump and see what the pressure gauge does/reads. When you replace it turn on a faucet and be sure there is no pressure B4 removing it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks