Delta MultiChoice, R10000-UNWS

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by mdsnj, Mar 27, 2010.

1. mdsnj

mdsnj New Member

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Delta MultiChoice R100000 shower valve. The plumbing supply store sold me one with stops. Why do I need stops?

Also, it comes with a port for a tub spout. It says if any port is not used, it should be fitted with a pipe plug. What does a pipe plug for a valve like this look like? Can it be soldered?

Many Thanks!

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2012
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

The stops are so you can turn of the water to service that valve in the future without turning off the whole building. Not really necessary in a single family house, but essential in apartments, condos, etc.

You can get a solder in plug, or a threaded plug.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

If it is the regular valve, you use a cap, not a plug.

If I were installing that valve, and it is just for a shower, I invert it, so the largest port (the one intended for the tub), is feeding the shower.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2010
  4. In order for those stops to be useable when the time comes, take that cover off the faucet and turn those integral stops on and off with the cartridge out of the body. You'll need a large bucket to keep the water from shooting across the tub.

This will guarantee you that when you need those valves to shut off, they will. Personally I use the main valve to shut off the water to the home.

If that valve is very difficult to get to, then I would then use the integral stops as a source of shutting off the water.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

UNless the Moen valve is too deep into the wall to access the retaining clip with the plate in place, I NEVER remove the plate to repair the faucet, so the integral stops would be useless as far as I am concerned.