Cutting cast...

Users who are viewing this thread

TonyBagadonutz

Electrician
Reaction score
snap_cutter.jpg

Snap cutter
Ok, so far Mr. Mirphy and his laws have struck a few times...the latest fiasco involves cutting that 4" cast riser. The first few cuts were easy (after taking the snap cutter back to the rental place becasue it was NFG).
Now I have a 4" riser in a 6x wall cavity. The chain will not fit around the cast for two reasons:
1- One side of the pipe is pretty tight to the backwall sheetrocking( 5 1/2" - 4" = 1 1/2"; 1 1/2" /2 = 3/4"; 3/4" is smaller than the width of the chain)

2 - Another side is basically pressed up against a stud.

Cutting the stud out would aleviate the one side, but the rocked side is in a pretty "inaccessible" area - the only better would have been an exterior wall :mad:

So, with these obstacles impeding my progress...what's the solution? I am thinking a sawzall and a few grit blades.

How safe is it to leave a stack OPEN to unoccupied living spaces???

Last edited by a moderator:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
cutting the stack

I suppose you could cut the stack with enough steel cutting Lennox sawzall baldes.

Most likely when you are just about to cut through it will jamm up on you
and the weight of the stack will pinch down on the blade. \

useing the balde method, you are still gonig to probably cut into that drywall on the other side...

it might really best just to cut the stud out of the way and open the drywall as needed and use the cast cutter

as far as leaving it open , just put a rag down in the pipe to keep the smells from comming up

just my opinion

TonyBagadonutz

Electrician
Reaction score
Sucess..well, not 100% :)

I actually did use a grit sawzall blade or two...a 6" and then an 8".
The cut(s) are not "perfect" - but they are not "salami" either; a little wavy. The hub(shielded) covered all the minor imperfections. The sheetrock has a very small line on it - not cut (woo hoo ala Homer Simpson). It was a PITA, but it didn't create any additional work for me and that's always a plus!

Luckily for me, this joint is really only temporary - for a year or so - until renov. the lower bath.
Unfortunately, I had only 1 hub, and no (40')ladder - so the (cast) pipe sticking out the roof is still there...held to the "new" PVC riser w/duct tape...LOL. I better have this thing 100% by Friday ~ rain is on the way!

Before I glue this thing all together, I'll post some pics so we can all see what a fine you good people have "talked" me through.

Tnaks MPM!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks