Customer problem RE: water heater & tub

Users who are viewing this thread

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
"There is a thingie that can be added to the pipe coming out of the tank, that will mix extra hot water with cold water so that the result is just plain old hot water but a whole lot of it. After installing it, you raise the temperature in the tank to a very high temperature and then the mixing thing brings the two "waters" together (extremely hot, and basic cold) and you get a whole lot of plain old hot water. Like double."

It's called a tempering valve. It allows you to set the water heater temperature to about 160 or 170 and mix it with cold using a temperature controlling valve so that you get more water in the desirable range.

It allows you to store more heat in the tank, but it doesn't help the recovery on an electric heater.

It requires both a cold and hot water inlet, and a not-so-hot water outlet. Your plumbers will know what it is and may have one on the truck.

Cookie

Reaction score
That ' thingie' Bob, don't you kind of wonder why the plumbers didn't do it already? I am just wondering.

*edited, for spelling.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Get a big bucket. If it doesn't have measurement markings on it, take a gallon jug and measure it so you know how much it takes to fill it. Use the bucket to fill the tub. See how much it is. Show her the specs on how much hot water the tank can provide. My guess is that you will be showing her the tub uses more water than the tank can provide. Plain and simple...buy a bigger heater, or don't fill the tub.

41Fever

Reaction score
Someone is trying to get something for nothing from the warranty company!
I had a customer recently with the same "problem". Told him to turn up heater as liability will not allow us to do that. Called again after a couple days. Told him to turn up again. He did and called again the next week insisting someone come over as something wrong with heater & he shouldn't have to turn up that "High". Went to house with a 5 gallon bucket and a thermometer. Temp from spout 130 odd degrees. Had him use the stopwatch on my phone while I filled the bucket. This was also a very DEEP whirlpool type tub. I have the figures on file at the shop but not with me. We calculated the amount of time to use 50 gallons of water & ran tub for that length of time. Water level was over jets but tub was maybe only 1/2 full. About this time she showed up & said that she fills the tub another 3-4" and it is "Warm" enough at the beginning of the bath but when she turns on the hot(after running jets for about 5 minutes)the water from spout is not "HOT ENOUGH" They wanted me to submit proposal to warranty company for larger heater. After telling them to turn up heater or replace with a larger one at THIER expense have not heard from them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks