CSV 3B vs CSV 3A

Users who are viewing this thread

Greenmonster123

Reaction score
@valveman I ordered a CSV 3B but received a CSV 3A. I called to ask if it was sent by mistake and was told it is an updated part number. Upon further inspection I noticed that the valve no longer has a slotted seat but now has a slotted diaphragm. What was the reason for this change?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Lol! You are good! The differences are very subtle and most people don't notice. For 30 years we have been using other valve manufacturers to make Cycle Stop Valve for us. However, the A series is a design of my own. I have taken everything I learned about valves in the last 30 years and made some improvements. The new A series looks almost identical to the B series. However, as you noticed the bypass is now on the diaphragm instead of the main body. The diaphragm has also changed from an expanding version that works slowly, to what we call a "top hat" design, because of it's look, that works much faster. The "top hat" design allows much higher differential pressures and has much less friction loss. The bypass on the diaphragm is quieter, and wears less. Plus, we are able to adjust the bypass amount from as little as 2 GPM to 15 GPM when needed for different size pumps.

The main valve body is now made from ductile iron instead of cast iron. Along with the higher differential pressure allowed by the new diaphragm design, the ductile iron has increased the max pressure rating from 225 PSI to 400 PSI. Ductile iron is also less susceptible to wear and freezing. You will also never be able to split the new ductile iron valve, no matter how tight you screw in a steel fitting. This has happened with the old cast iron valve, but has not been a big problem.

The CSV1A that we use for the pilot valve on the new CSV3A was my first improved design, which has been a tremendous success since 2009. The new CSV3A with the CSV1A pilot is my own design, and I am extremely proud of it. We were going to gradually switch from the old B design to the new A series. However, with the big freeze in Texas and the south last February/March we were forced to switch to the new A series much sooner than expected. Just happened that we had a big stock of the new valves ready to go. So, we were able to take care of the sudden demand from the freeze. But we didn't have time to make a big introduction of the new valves. Even now we are having a hard time keeping up with production because of the chip shortage. While being short on "chips" is causing a shortage of VFD's or Variable Frequency Drives, many people are switching to the Cycle Stop Valve out of necessity, and then discovering it does a better job than a VFD.

I also know that my competitors will copy any new design I come up with in short order. So, I have delayed, even questioned if I should, make public the improvements on my new designs. I probably should have filed for several patents. However, even though our older models lasted 20-30 years, I hope that my competitors can use my new designs to make "Constant Pressure" with valve control even more efficient and reliable.

So, thanks to you, I guess this is the debut of the CSV3A series valve.

Improvement to the new CSV3A over the CSV3B.....

Max pressure increased from 225 PSI to 400 PSI.
Differential pressure increased from 125 PSI to 200 PSI.
Friction loss decreased from 14 PSI to 4 PSI.
Reaction speed increased by 3X.
More wear resistant.
Not likely to split even from freezing.
Now has NSF61 certification.

We have been replacing some of the old 3B series valves that have lasted 20-30 years. We are sure the improved CSV3A will work better and last even longer. This is great news for consumers and irrigators, but many installers say our old models last too long anyway. Sorry! Guess I am old school. Still trying to make things better.
Thanks
Cary

Last edited:

Greenmonster123

Reaction score
Lol! You are good! The differences are very subtle and most people don't notice. For 30 years we have been using other valve manufacturers to make Cycle Stop Valve for us. However, the A series is a design of my own. I have taken everything I learned about valves in the last 30 years and made some improvements. The new A series looks almost identical to the B series. However, as you noticed the bypass is now on the diaphragm instead of the main body. The diaphragm has also changed from an expanding version that works slowly, to what we call a "top hat" design, because of it's look, that works much faster. The "top hat" design allows much higher differential pressures and has much less friction loss. The bypass on the diaphragm is quieter, and wears less. Plus, we are able to adjust the bypass amount from as little as 2 GPM to 15 GPM when needed for different size pumps.

The main valve body is now made from ductile iron instead of cast iron. Along with the higher differential pressure allowed by the new diaphragm design, the ductile iron has increased the max pressure rating from 225 PSI to 400 PSI. Ductile iron is also less susceptible to wear and freezing. You will also never be able to split the new ductile iron valve, no matter how tight you screw in a steel fitting. This has happened with the old cast iron valve, but has not been a big problem.

The CSV1A that we use for the pilot valve on the new CSV3A was my first improved design, which has been a tremendous success since 2009. The new CSV3A with the CSV1A pilot is my own design, and I am extremely proud of it. We were going to gradually switch from the old B design to the new A series. However, with the big freeze in Texas and the south last February/March we were forced to switch to the new A series much sooner than expected. Just happened that we had a big stock of the new valves ready to go. So, we were able to take care of the sudden demand from the freeze. But we didn't have time to make a big introduction of the new valves. Even now we are having a hard time keeping up with production because of the chip shortage. While being short on "chips" is causing a shortage of VFD's or Variable Frequency Drives, many people are switching to the Cycle Stop Valve out of necessity, and then discovering it does a better job than a VFD.

I also know that my competitors will copy any new design I come up with in short order. So, I have delayed, even questioned if I should, make public the improvements on my new designs. I probably should have filed for several patents. However, even though our older models lasted 20-30 years, I hope that my competitors can use my new designs to make "Constant Pressure" with valve control even more efficient and reliable.

So, thanks to you, I guess this is the debut of the CSV3A series valve.

Improvement to the new CSV3A over the CSV3B.....

Max pressure increased from 225 PSI to 400 PSI.
Differential pressure increased from 125 PSI to 200 PSI.
Friction loss decreased from 14 PSI to 4 PSI.
Reaction speed increased by 3X.
More wear resistant.
Not likely to split even from freezing.

We have been replacing some of the old 3B series valves that have lasted 20-30 years. We are sure the improved CSV3A will work better and last even longer. This is great news for consumers and irrigators, but many installers say our old models last too long anyway. Sorry! Guess I am old school. Still trying to make things better.
Thanks
Cary
Thank you for the explanation. I am happy to hear about decreased pressure loss!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I edited my post to include that the new CSV3A valves are now certified NSF61. Not that I think certifying something safe that does not leach materials into water anyway is important. But we spent a lot of money getting them certified for those who don't understand it is a government ploy, so wanted to make sure to add it.

Greenmonster123

Reaction score
I edited my post to include that the new CSV3A valves are now certified NSF61. Not that I think certifying something safe that does not leach materials into water anyway is important. But we spent a lot of money getting them certified for those who don't understand it is a government ploy, so wanted to make sure to add it.
Good to know you spent all that money for a little sticker. Got it installed last week.
B8243744-1C6C-4A2B-9AB1-5B7AF07B1F75.jpeg
AD06A379-28EB-4C40-971B-21DF39CA5412.jpeg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks