Crouse Hinds Electircal Panel Screws

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by ToolsRMe, Mar 1, 2014.

1. ToolsRMe

ToolsRMe New Member

I own a a Crouse Hinds Type 1 Electrical panel. The previous owner removed the panel screws and replaced them with sheet metal screws. I want to sell my house and the buyer's inspector flagged it as a safety issue.

The Square D replacement screws do not fit
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D...-per-Pack-S106/100123734?keyword=047569440731

Does anyone know where I can get replacement screws or what the threading is?
  2. Stuff

Stuff Member

Newer panel screws have a finer thread than original but should still work. Seimens bought the Crouse-Hinds line and re-named it back to Murray.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2014
  3. ActionDave

ActionDave Electrician

Go find the home inspector and punch him square in the face. If substitute panel screws were a safety issue more than half of my town would be burned downed right now, including City Hall.

Go talk to your buyer and ask him if he is serious about buying your house or not because you need to sell your house but don't need a bunch of useless hassle.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  4. ToolsRMe

ToolsRMe New Member

What the inspector wrote in his report was:

I removed the panel cover and he was quite right. He also caught a bunch of other safety issues that are more difficult but, fortunately, less annoying to repair.
  5. ToolsRMe

ToolsRMe New Member

The Square D replacement screws do not fit in that they have, I think, a larger diameter than the original screws.

I saw a similar question posted on another forum and someone suggested retapping the panel's screw holder. Obviously, I'd rather not do that unless I have to.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2014
  6. Stuff

Stuff Member

Quick fix then is to grind off the sharp point of the screws that do fit. A bit of a hack and not "listed" for the panel but inspector might sign off on it.

Instead of tapped holes for the screws on the lip does it use two small strap punch-outs on the sides? I have a Crouse-Hinds panel in my house and the Murray/Siemens screws do fit but are a bit tight.

Good article and shows this odd type of screw hole: http://inspectapedia.com/electric/Electric_Panel_Cover_Screws.htm
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  7. ActionDave

ActionDave Electrician

You did not say that the first time.

Blunt the the screws off and move the wire so the insulation is no longer in danger.
  8. ToolsRMe

ToolsRMe New Member

Well, thanks to the people here who told me that Siemans purchased Murray which purchased Crouse.

The screws are [h=1]Siemens ECTS2 Cover Screws for Siemens or Murray Load Centers[/h]
    Thank you all.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2014
  9. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

If there are more useless people on this earth than "home inspectors" I do not know who they would be. Their sole purpose in life seems to be to find irrelevant items to fill up their report pages. I have seen many cases where they listed every screw that was missing from a switch or duplex plate, but missed major safety issues.
  10. ActionDave

ActionDave Electrician

Kinda why my first post came off sounding the way it did.
  11. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I found post #6 to be useful and informative.