Removed Electric Hot water Heater - Breaker Filler Plate?

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by coldsolderjoint, Mar 6, 2014.

1. coldsolderjoint

coldsolderjoint New Member

I had my electric hot water heater replaced with gas, and the plumber left a section of the 10/3 supply wire wire-nutted and in a new handy-box about 2 feet away from the breaker panel. I know its fine as is and is safe, but I would like to clean it up and remove that section. This also leaves me with an unused double-pole breaker.

Can I just use one of these: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Raco-3-4-in-Knock-Out-Seal-Steel-4-Pack-1043B4/203671726?N=5yc1vZbohk# to fill the hole in the panel enclosure?

For the unused two-pole breaker: I found QO filler plates for sale online, but its for a single pole breaker. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D...r-Plates-3-Pack-QOFPCP/202353304?N=bm2nZ5yc1v

Do they sell two pole fillers? OR am I just being crazy and should just leave the breaker in there till I need those positions?

Thanks
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I'd probably just leave the breaker in there. But, two single hole filler plates will fit and fill the hole if you decide to take it out.
  3. coldsolderjoint

coldsolderjoint New Member

Thanks! I just went to Lowes on lunch and see how they attach. The pictures online weren't clear.
  4. Speedy Petey

Speedy Petey Licensed Electrical Contractor

This! ;)...
  5. DonL

DonL Banned

I would keep it there for when Electric is cheaper than gas.

You may want to change back, If the power grid can handle it.

Good Luck.
  6. Speedy Petey

Speedy Petey Licensed Electrical Contractor

Unless you're in Canada, when do you figure that might be? :D :rolleyes: