Cracked Brine Tube - Repair or Replace?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tonyscarface

Reaction score
When the salt level went down it exposed a 1/2" X 4" crack on the brine tube approximately 6" from the bottom. The piece was lying in the salt. Can I patch this hole and if yes, with what food-safe tape/epoxy/other material? A new tube is too costly.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Assuming your brine tube OD is 3/8", then I expect a 3/8" compression coupling should work. With plastic tubing, I prefer replacing the brass compression sleeves with plastic Delrin sleeves as they will be less likely to cut into the plastic tubing.

3/8" Compression coupling

Plastic Delrin Sleeves

Alternately, a John Guest Quick Connect coupling may also be suitable.

John Guest Coupling

Reach4

Reaction score
I think that your crack is in the rigid tube that is part of the Brine Pick Up Tube with Air Check assembly.

Tonyscarface

Reaction score
Reach4 - That is correct. It is the 4" plastic tube inside the tank. It has the float assembly. I've seen it referred to as the tank brine well and a few other names. I need a safe (water contact) method to patch it. Thank you.

Reach4

Reaction score
Ahh... the brine well. You could cut maybe a "half pipe" from some 4 inch plastic pipe, and just lay that against the tube-- held in place by the salt pressing, or lash that pipe piece lightly with a couple of nylon ties.

Brine wells have not always been used, but maybe that was for brine tanks that did not have air check valves at the bottom.

Last edited: