Cost estimate for Generator Power Transfer Switch installation

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by GG_Mass, Nov 12, 2013.

1. GG_Mass

GG_Mass Member

I know that labor prices vary between areas, I'm located in Massachusetts. A rough estimate is very much good for me, at this point.

I would like to have this unit installed - Reliance Controls 31406CRK http://www.reliancecontrols.com/ProductDetail.aspx?31406CRK.
    Aside from the unit's cost, what's the price I should be ready for as far as labor is concerned ?
    I'm going to probably opt out from the input power socket and connect a cable from the generator to the transfer switch unit directly, the probable area where such socket would be fit to be installed - is not the optimal area where I'd like to place the generator at.

Thank you.
  2. Speedy Petey

Speedy Petey Licensed Electrical Contractor

Maybe 2-3 hours tops. I can do small ones like that, with the inlet right on the panel, in about an hour start to finish.
    Expect to pay $150-400.
  3. GG_Mass

GG_Mass Member

I understand,
    Thank you.
  4. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

Be careful when using something like this as the code official has many different things that can be called out on this type of installation.
    Table 310.15(B)(3) (raceway fill)
    200.4 (shared neutral)
    702.5 (AIC rating of the unit)
    702.7 (signage)
    225.36 (disconnect also see 702.12)
    702.11 (depending on the manufacturer of the generator)
    590.6(A)(3) (GFCI protection which will cause the GFCI to trip with this setup)
    406.9(B)(1) (in-use covers on receptacle)

And the list goes on and on. It will depend on just how bad you inspector wants to keep this from happening. The good thing is that here in NC the generator cannot be connected to the premises wiring without it being listed. This means that this transfer will not meet the rules for an installation in NC.