corian shower floor

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by gildedgrit, Sep 8, 2009.

1. gildedgrit

gildedgrit New Member

I am about to have a shower redone in corian. I have been told to use the original tile for the floor. Can I use corian? Or is there a better solution?
    Thank you
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Not sure exactly what you're asking. A shower pan (the floor) needs to be sloped to the drain, and needs a lip so Corian walls could be applied to make the whole thing waterproof. A typical tiled shower has a liner that goes at least a few inches above the top of the curb. Anything less, and you are at risk for failure.

If you have a Corian pan, I'd be surprised if it could accept tile.

For shower construction help, you may want to check out www.johnbridge.com.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

corian

Corian is too rigid to be bent to make a one piece sloping floor. It is usually too narrow to make a one piece floor also.Cultured marble will deform to make a depressed shower base, but not Corian.