Copper pipe support under kitchen sink?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by tiringer, Sep 5, 2010.

1. tiringer

tiringer New Member

I am new to the forum, but could not find any thread on this: after installing my new kitchen sink & remodeling, i have the water supply lines (hot&cold) coming vertically from the concrete floor to a height of 24", then a 90 degree with a 4" branch, and finally the shutoff valves. I am worried if this vertical standoff of 24" is too long for my 1/2" copper lines and they might break with time due to the constant opening and closing of the faucet they supply. Is this okay? If not, any suggestions? Do i need to support the copper pipes close to the valves somehow? Thank you.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

A picture might help. If you're worried, they do make supports specifically for this that would support the pipe at the top of the run. The sink faucet should be tight to the counter or sink, and if it is the shutoffs, those only get used when it is time to repair or replace the faucet, so there should be no regular flex or stress on them unless they get bumped with stuff under the sink.
  3. tiringer

tiringer New Member

Thank you. Here is a picture showing my unsupported supply lines behind the drainpipe.

Attached Files:

4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I wouldn't worry about it...
  5. Fubar411

Fubar411 New Member

Very good quality 1/4 turn shut offs. Someone was paying attention in class.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The pipes do NOT move when you open and close the faucets, so you do NOT have anything to worry about.