Connection Help

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by gsici, Feb 16, 2009.

1. gsici

gsici New Member

I have a steam generator which came with crappy installation instructions.

I have a water input which is a plastic male 1/2" thread which I need to connect to my 1/2"copper pipe water supply and would like to add a valve.

I went to Home Depot and found a valve with the 1/2" (solder) and with a 3/8" male. I then found a flex hose with 3/8 female and 1/2 female. The problem is that the 1/2 female is metal and the male on the steam unit is plastic. Can these be connected?

Attached Files:

2. Furd

Furd Engineer

Yes. j-0ojwep]jgspdjavo
  3. gsici

gsici New Member

Steam Output

Thank you Furd.

Now I need to connect a 3/4" copper to the steam out, but instructions call for a union at the connection point in case appliance needs to be serviced. Not sure I know what components to get. Any suggestions?
  4. Furd

Furd Engineer

5. gsici

gsici New Member

Thx again Furd for the quick reply. Not sure I follow the sequence.

I believe the piece on the right is threaded to the appliance (with teflon???) then solder a piece of 3/4" tubing OR just add the piece on the left. When does the center piece come in?
  6. gsici

gsici New Member

Pipe wrap

Got all the parts today for the hook up. I need pipe wrap for the 3/4" rigid copper. The instruction manual calls for something resistant to 250 degrees F (which I think is crazy). None the less the stuff at HD (Reflectix)is rated to 180 degrees. Anyone know what I can use?????
  7. BimmerRacer

BimmerRacer New Member

Not sure what unit you have, but Kohler tech support just told me today their steam pipe gets to around 200.
  8. gsici

gsici New Member

Well maybe 250 makes sense. What could I put around pipe that would not melt?
  9. Furd

Furd Engineer

My illustration of fittings was in no particular order, simply representational of what you may need.

As for insulating the steam discharge pipe just use fiberglass. They used to make a package of fiberglass insulation for wrapping pipes. It had a roll of fiberglass about fifty feet long and about four inches wide, maybe an inch thick or so. Half-lap it on the steam pipe and maybe use two layers. If it comes with a plastic overwrap simply toss the overwrap and use some tape or wire ties to secure the loose end of the fiberglass.
  10. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

steam

If Kohler said their line gets "around 200 degrees", they forgot their basic physics. Steam STARTS at 212 degrees and goes UP depending on the pressure.
  11. gsici

gsici New Member

Thanks all. I think I am ready to make some connections.