connecting shower and toilet drain

Users who are viewing this thread

jhaug

Reaction score
I am busting up some concrete to move a toilet drain, and was wandering if, while I have the concrete out, I can tie into the toilet drain line with a shower drain. This would make life a bit better, as it would keep me from having to bust up alot of concrete and changing out the main stack. thanks

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes you can, provided you vent the toilet first and connect your shower downstream of that vent.

So you will see, toilet flange, toilet vent and last shower drain

jhaug

Reaction score
the toilet vents thru the main stack, so I am guessing that the new shower drain will also have to go into the main stack.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

Bad guess. Unless you have an unusual setup, the toilet will NOT, or at least SHOULD NOT, be vented through the main stack, because it will be a WASTE stack, not a VENT stack. And you have to vent the shower individually from the toilet. Just because something is installed "near" a pipe does not mean that it is vented, nor vented properly, nor vented effectively.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks